ESP B304: Yea or Nay?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nick g., Dec 26, 2003.

ESP B304: Yea or Nay?

Poll closed Jan 9, 2004.
  1. Yes

6 vote(s)
  2. No/ Suggestions?

1 vote(s)
  1. nick g.

nick g. Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2003
    Chandler, Arizona
    Well, how about it?

Some basic specs:
    Neck-through construction/ 5 piece maple & walnut
    Flamed maple top
    Mahogany body
    EMG-HZ pickups
    3-band EQ
    24 frets/ rosewood fretboard

I might be able to give this a test run at the Guitar Gallery in Scottsdale, but I've never been there and I don't know if they have it in stock or not.
  2. I havent tried the B304, but i have tried the B204 and B104.
    I thought both basses were great for their price range. They were comfy, and sounded not bad at all and had quite a bit of flexibility tone-wise as well. So i could only imagine the B304 would be the next step up in quality.
    I say ESP's are pretty decent basses...and IMO sometimes overlooked.
  3. Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    ok ive played may ESP's and own 2, a F204 and a B305.
    and i LOVE them. I have to say the B305 is something!
    have you played it yet? does it speak to you?
  4. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I think they are nice and agree with B'Aces. They are overlooked which means they cost less than a comparable different brand of bass.

5. jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    It is a decent bass for the price.I had the B 305. I liked the deep sound the neck through body gives. I did not like the small string spacing as much. It made it a little difficult to slap. I traded this bass for an Ibanez BTB 405QM which is a far superior bass. If you play more rock, than the B 304 will be the bass for you.
  6. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I play a B304, and I'm really quite happy with it. For the money (I paid $500), it has great tone and flexibility. The neck is quite smooth and plays well. I like the string spacing for slapping, although the bass admittedly does not have the greatest slap tone. The EMG pickups really stand out if you want to play rock, and it actually puts out some pretty decent jazz tones too. If you like it and can get a good deal on it, I'd definitely recommend pickin' one up.
  7. nick g.

Nov 9, 2003
    Chandler, Arizona
    Thanks guys... it's getting down to the wire. I'm torn between this schweet Spector NS2000/Q4 I played at GC and that ESP.

HollowMan, is there any chance I can get a demo of your 304?
  8. Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    THe new B304's and B305's are armed with ESP pickups, not EMG's.
    My one has ESP's.
    they sound warm yet bright
  9. nick g.

Nov 9, 2003
    Chandler, Arizona
    ****. I was afraid of that.

Oh well - I'll probably be able to arm it with some Barts if indeed I decide to buy it.