ESP bass quality

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by limp_dan, Aug 7, 2002.

1. limp_dan

Aug 7, 2002
    Hey all , im a fairly new bass player and have been playing for 3 and a half yrs now. Im considering buying an ESP F-204 bass but i have heard mixed reviews about it. Some people say that it is a wonderful bass with a very good metal sound , while others say that the wood quality is very poor and it has numerous dead spots along the neck. I was just wondering if sumone could please tell me which review is true .Oh and if there is anything elseu think i should know about the bass plz post that aswell

Thanks in advance,
  2. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    Am I correct in thinking that you are referring to the ESP LTD F-204? If so, these are good, though not great, instruments. The three band EQ is pretty good, and when properly set up, they play really good. If you are buying new, some may argue that a MTD Kingston or Heir is a better instrument for the bucks, but a lot of that depends on what you are looking for. If you have a good deal on a new or used 204, then it may be just what you are looking for.

Take into consideration that there is truth in the saying, you get what you pay for. The LTD line is Korean made. As good as some of the Korean products are, most still are not as good as the comparable USA made products. The pickup/preamp combo on the LTD 200/300 series is much better then the DeArmond Pilots, the Tobias Toby Pros, as well as many of the other import series basses (I won't include the Lakland Skyline series or others that have actual Bartolini, or other high quality electronics, in this group.)

Another option in this price range may be the Warwick Rock Bass series, though the only one I have played I hated the feel of....I love Warwicks and the maple neck on the Rock Bass ruined it for me. But, if you like the feel of the Rock Bass, it is supposed to have decent electronics at a good price.