ESP basses, good or not??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DreamTheater, Jan 4, 2003.

1. DreamTheater

Jan 4, 2003
    i was looking into an ESP LTD b-205

what do you guys think of ESP? or that bass in particular for that matter
  2. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Let me ask you this if I may.

You are the one interested in the ESP bass right? Do you like the way it sounds, plays, looks, etc? If you do then anyone elses personal opinion of the bass is irelivant if you personally like it.
  3. DreamTheater

Jan 4, 2003
    yes but ive heard people having problems such as loving the bass for awhile, then having things go wrong with it, i want to know if anyone has had anything like this happen to them with an ESP, basically im asking is it reliable or a good buy?
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

AFAIK there are not reliability issues with ESP. I just don't like the way they look or sound. And the B string on the 5 stringers leaves something to be desired, as well.
  5. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    I bought by B-305 used for $500 about a year ago. Overall, I'd say they did a good job. Probably my only complaint is that the battery just flops around loose in the cavity (perhaps they are better now). I was impressed with the materials and assembly.
  6. KCjedi/S19

Aug 10, 2002
    like just about anything you get what you pay for but esp makes some nice stuff on their regular models not only that all the ltd series have emg's and you can't go wrong with that as long as you take care of it then it should be a good buy
  7. Wownirvana

Jul 7, 2002
    Athens, GA
    I got the b-204 (the 4 string version of what you want) last month for about $250 from my local pawnshop. I think they sell for around $600 so I was really happy my friend up there hooked me up. At the same time they had the five string version too. I played them both and I think they both rock. I just don't really like 5 string basses all that much. I think they are great basses and the EMG pickups can really kick out some low end.
  8. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    me either,just something about the body that looks ugly to me, and the B string, I think my shoe laces are tighter than it.

Reliable, that they are, my friend has had ESP guitars for years now and he leaves um outside in the humidity, in damp rooms, and just trashes them. Not once have they failed him. I dont see how either.