ESP Basses - Opinions greatly appreciated

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by j b scott, Nov 14, 2002.

1. G'day to all people who are reading! ;)

Well... I started playing bass at the start of the year on a cheap half busted unknown brand which i picked up from cash converters. Anyway, i just mucked around and tought myself, and turned out really liking playing it, and have since joined several bands and played in assemblys and other things.

To the point, i am going to soon get a new bass, which i am quite sure will be 5 sting, since i would like the scope that it has, and am looking for a versative bass that will last a while, in the $1000 - 2000 price range (Australian) (would be about $500 - $1000 American). From trying out in shops i have taken a fancy to the ESP ltd B-205.

While i was sure i was going to get this one, some of the guys i play with call it "too metal" and don't consider it to be a well respected brand.

Also when reading messages on this forum, ESP basses are never mentioned, only Fender, Warwick and others.

Before spending all the money i have saved on this bass, i would appreicate any thought on the ltd series and the quality and versatitily of the ESP basses overall, when taken into consideration that it will be used in funk/hip hop, rock/metal, and blues bands!

(sorry if that was a bit lengthy i just finished year 12 and am quite drunk at the moment) :p
  2. I owm a ESP F204 and really like it. IMO i think it would be a good choise for you. I play alot of different types of musc and have been told it sounds good. Its also very comfortable at least to me. Im also considering F-205.
  3. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    MAN!...this all depends on you! I've owned Fenders, Rics, Schecters (similar to ESP's), Deans and other crap imports. If you can get over the fact that ESP's are mostly Korean imports you might like them. If you can't get over the the "import" aspect go spend alot on a American or German bass. IMHO my ESP C-305 is an excellant bass. It's built like a tank and nearly as heavy as one (Mahogany wings). It plays great, sounds great and looks great and happens to be a Korean's also ESP's only non metal looking bass...looks more like a Spector (kinda) and it's neck through (totally sold me) and the price is incredible. Check out the C-304 or C-305. You WON'T be disappointed and these basses aren't the "Metal" looking basses ESP is known for making.
  4. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    ...Oh yeah....with that said above...I really think the quality of alot of Korean imports has risen to American standards as of late. ESP is definitely one Korean guitar manufacturer that is pumping out decent sounding and playing instruments.
  5. toshiya

Jun 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    an ESP bass and can say that it's a sweet/sour relationship. The particular model I owned was the f205 ltd bass, it was well built, definitely and the hardware was pretty good too. Most ESP basses come with EMG Hz's and a three band preamp, and although the preamp itself was pretty cool, i think the bass yielded nothing special or even desirable to me, so the preamp was worthless. The B string (5th string) on that ESP was particularly lackluster too, too boomy was the sound, and the string itself was sloppy and too loose. The 35' inch scale added no tension that I noticed.

What I did notice about the bass is that it doesn't cut through very well, even with MID controls, however, in a recording situation, the bass sounds good. I can send you an old sound clip of just the bass if you want. Also, the spacing on most ESP 5 strings is tight, too tight for me to slap comfortably.

Anyways, at 500US to 1000US, there are alot more options available. Ones that will definitely leave you happy, one that immediately comes to mind as something that can fulfill your needs is an Ernie Ball Musicman 5 which can be had used for ~850 or so. Not bad. Also, check out MTD's overseas line, for some GREAT deals, IE: MTD Heir, and what else? A used Fender American Jazz 5 would do well too, maybe a deluxe so you can fool around :)

Still, try alot of basses!

phew... longest post I ever wrote metinks
  6. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I personally love my ESP C-305 but I agree with Toshiya (did I get it right?)...Play as many different kinds of basses as you can before you buy! Opinions are funny because of course we all have them but what it comes down to is how YOU feel when YOU play a bass. Try American...try imports...try a little of everything before you make your decision!
  7. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Music Man 5's are great if you can afford one and MTD imports I've heard are great as well.
  8. dace

Dec 25, 2000
    sydney, australia
    i've got a B-205 and I'd say it's the best 5 string that I've tried thats under AUS$2000.

it depends what your after and whats available. i was after a 5 string with a bridge & neck humbucker, an 3 band active EQ + a blend knob and a fairly tight B string.

given what's available here in Australia, it was down to the ESP B-205 or one of the Ibanez BTBs. i gave both a try and i thought the ESP sounded a lot better.

also i'd say that you've got the price conversion wrong. if you wanna buy gear here in Australia, its TRIPLE the U.S. price. so something selling for US$500 will usually sell for AUS$1,500. transportation and the tariff customs puts on imported wood for some reason takes up a huge chunk of the price. its insane how much extra we have to pay.
  9. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Do a search. I have done about 4 or 5 posts on my ESP bass because there have been people before you that have asked.

Check out, I did a review of my C-305 and I love it.

Look alittle harder next time.

10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Are they the ones playing it? :) If you like it & you feel the sound, feel, playability fits you, go for it. I've played a few of them & they're nice basses comperable with alot of the other Korean manifactured basses such as Spectors, Schecters, Deans, etc that are all pretty well made basses.
  11. i got the c-304. i am very pleased:)
    it's abit bright w/ the emg p/ups, but the eq is pretty functional. its the first i've had with active eq, and i've got a handle on it right away. very nice.
  12. Thanks guys, i'v ended up gettin it and i am very happy with it an so is anyone else who hears it or even sees it!

would post a pic but i dont have one and wouldn't know how to either.

peace :cool: