ESP Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Desdenova, Mar 14, 2003.

1. Desdenova

Feb 18, 2003
    Hampton, VA
    I've heard ESP is a good brand, especially for guitars, but the fact that I've <b>never</b> seen them mentioned here is a little disconcerting. I'd like to try some of them -- especially the F-204/205 -- and I'm beggining to wonder if that'd be a waste of time.

Or anything else about them. I doubt I'll be buying anything new soon, but I know this cheap P-bass copy (Austin!?) won't serve me forever.
  2. I think they don't get mentioned much mainly because I don't think too many people own one. I myself have a B-205 LTD. Really good (but expensive for) first bass. I still use it from time to time because it has such a different tone from my Rick (being active helps in that arena) and like to rattle the walls with the B string. When buying ESP I was mainly influenced by a lot of Japanese rock bands that use their instruments (both guitars and basses). My friend who plays guitar also recommended I try out something by ESP since he believes them to be a reliable brand. In the US it seems mostly heavy metal guys who endorse their products, but I think their basses are a lot more versatile than the "heavy metal sound."

And as usual, make sure you have a chance to try some out for yourself if any of your stores carry them.
  3. TK65

Jan 16, 2003
    I bought an ESP F-204 when they first came out - you know, the funky looking thing that looks like something Gene Simmons would dream up...anyway, it played surprisingly well, and sounded surprisingly good, especially considering it only cost me about 5 bills. This was my "heavy metal" bass, so I never really explored the nuances of jazz or anything else on it, but for that 3-chord power stuff, it was just fine.

Carvin Bass Museum