1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ESP Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Desdenova, Mar 14, 2003.

1. Desdenova

Desdenova

Feb 18, 2003
    Hampton, VA
    I've heard ESP is a good brand, especially for guitars, but the fact that I've <b>never</b> seen them mentioned here is a little disconcerting. I'd like to try some of them -- especially the F-204/205 -- and I'm beggining to wonder if that'd be a waste of time.

Or anything else about them. I doubt I'll be buying anything new soon, but I know this cheap P-bass copy (Austin!?) won't serve me forever.

2. I think they don't get mentioned much mainly because I don't think too many people own one. I myself have a B-205 LTD. Really good (but expensive for) first bass. I still use it from time to time because it has such a different tone from my Rick (being active helps in that arena) and like to rattle the walls with the B string. When buying ESP I was mainly influenced by a lot of Japanese rock bands that use their instruments (both guitars and basses). My friend who plays guitar also recommended I try out something by ESP since he believes them to be a reliable brand. In the US it seems mostly heavy metal guys who endorse their products, but I think their basses are a lot more versatile than the "heavy metal sound."

And as usual, make sure you have a chance to try some out for yourself if any of your stores carry them.

3. TK65

TK65

Jan 16, 2003
    I bought an ESP F-204 when they first came out - you know, the funky looking thing that looks like something Gene Simmons would dream up...anyway, it played surprisingly well, and sounded surprisingly good, especially considering it only cost me about 5 bills. This was my "heavy metal" bass, so I never really explored the nuances of jazz or anything else on it, but for that 3-chord power stuff, it was just fine.

K.
    Carvin Bass Museum