Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ESP Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MotoClip, Apr 22, 2003.

1. I was just curious for you people that have played an ESP bass. I've been told they just looked good (which they do) but don't sound good. Anyone that has played an ESP bass please tell me bout it.

2. CS Bass

CS Bass

Feb 18, 2003
    My ESP B-305 looks, plays, sounds, and is priced great.

If the sound is not to your liking, you can always change the pickups, preamp, strings, etc.

This is the only ESP I've played, though.

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    The sounds in your fingers, everything else just helps.

But really, the sound is up to you. I'd say you have to go play them, and see how YOU like them, not what everyone else says. If I see a bass that catches my eye, as ESPs usually do, I'll play them. If I like them, and everyone else in the world is giving me reasons about how they don't sound good n what not, I'd buy it anyway....IF I like it (and have the cash, obviously ;)).If you're curious about them, go to a local shop and play them. If you're like me, and deprived of a local shop, then try to find songs with someone who uses them, and you can kinda get an idea of what they sound like.

Those are just my suggestions. The Latter being not so good of one, since the sound can be molded by their amp, FX and style of playing and whatever, but it'll give you an idea.

I still say you're best bet is to go play one, or two, or however many, and see if you like them.

Ray