Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ESP basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Oliver, Sep 1, 2003.

1. Oliver

Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    havent seen much on ESP's here, does anyone have any? what do you think of them?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've played them in stores, never impressed. Maybe because of the other 500 kids playing it before me.

3. I dont have one, but ive tried several.
    I didnt mind them at all actually...they sounded good for basses in their price range. And versatile enough to be used in many styles of music.

I know id like to try the B-206...that thing looks pretty sharp for a budget 6 string.

4. kingbrutis

kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    Chris Beattie from HATEBREED plays one. Hatebreed is the best known real hardcore band. His bass lines are pretty easy to play, but he has an amazing growl. I know his basses take a beating because hatebreed is one of the most violent shows you will ever see. They are on tour with slayer now. Anyway, I considered one but bought my Schecter instead. Hope this helps. Joe

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have played the ESP b-305 and the C-305 and was rather impressed with both of them. For the price, they are very niec basses. THe active EMG' are a nice touch and the ones i played had very nice finishes on them., (flamed maple).

6. I have played the C-305, the 4 stringed Viper, and the B series bass in the starter package...
    I'm thoroughly convinced that these basses are great basses for the price range.. I personally own the C-305 and most people I jam with prefer its tone over my G&L's many tones.. they're very versatile and comfy.

I'm actually pondering on whether or not to get an F series ESP bass, they're one of my favorite body designs ever cuz its like gothic, and at the same time comfortable to sit with.

The Viper had a really nice full slap sound, too..I have trouble putting it down when I go to Sam Ash...

some bassists I have heard in big bands that play ESP are in a lot of nu metal\metal/hardcore bands like Hatebreed, Ill Nino, In Flames,Slayer, Soulfly, Cold, and Testament, and if I'm right, even Tina Turner's bassist uses ESP, lol.

Definitely a nice bang for buck bass, and I can't see why I should not get another.

7. Oliver

Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    yeah, thanks guys. im actually thinking of getting the F-204, gothic design is a killer, and its tone and growl is guite impressive.

i think they are slightly underrated.

8. dude tell me what you think of the F when you get it...I love the body design so much! I'd love to get it in black...even though I'm not a big fan of the black finish on basses, this is one of those few times I love it on a bass.

The underrated ordeal...well I dunno cuz I never got to play them. I love the tone that the dude from In Flames gets outta them.

What color you aiming for btw?

9. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Back in the day when you guys were most likely being conceived, ESP made some great Fender copies.:)

I had a ESP P Bass that was equal or better compared to anything Fender was doing at the time.

10. I played an ESP strat and holy- holy lord of light...it was so nice, it blew the MIA strats that were being displayed around it..the guys at Sam Ash are even having trouble selling it, which I really can't see why!

11. Oliver

Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    Five, i better go listen to some inflames and see what kinda sound they get out of it, im definately gonna get the black finish.
    i played a metallic gray one at the shop but gray isnt it, its gotta be black!

12. i have an ESP b-205, and aside from changeing the tuning from BEADG to EADGC its a great bass. it has many different tones you can get out of it, and i really enjoy playing it. It took me a while to find the right one, but when i picked up this bass i knew it was right for me.

13. Oliver

Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    i think they are definatley up there with the high end brands thats for sure

14. Yay, a real life ESP thread, that's crazy! I have a 4-string Viper, and I love it. I don't know a whole lot about basses, nor have I played an extensive number of them, so I wouldn't trust me if I were you, but I think I got a great bass for the price. Need to move that strap peg thing though, but besides that it's sweet.

15. Kheos

Kheos

Aug 12, 2002
    Belgium
    yeps, of all the basses I could possibly want in this lifetime, this is the only one I can afford without feeling I must settle with less. and I like the shape as well. I might want some minor adjustments, but that would mean having it handmade, and then the price triples. which alse would be much over budget.
    nevertheless, I feel it might someday be my bass, and who knows? I might not want another bass? now it's just a matter of finding a store who sell's them, so I could try one.

16. Oliver

Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    the day has come, i went to pick up the F-204.
    holy *&^% this thing looks wicked, not only that the sound is superb. armed with EMG's, 35 inch scale...you can get any kind of sound from real crispy treble to mute/dull bass and all between.
    it has volume,pickup selector,bass,mid,treble.
    weight it medium going onto heavy.
    The neck is fast, and access to upper frets is great due to the cut away which only adds to the design.

if you wanna freak some people out get this bass, it'll make a statement even before you play a note..not only that but its sound is that of a warwick. sound comes first for me and this thing purrs like a kitten with a killer growl
    or something along those lines

:)

long live ESP:bassist:

17. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    That's right. A friend of mine has an old ESP Jazz, I think from the 80's, that is outstanding. If I could find a good price on one I'd buy it.

18. if got an grass roots bass (by esp) it looks and sounds real good.... mahagoni body with maple top and an maple neck with an palisander fretboard i just defretet it and its still good as hell........ (for that price) it was my first bass now i got an 1992 warwick corvette proline as main bass

19. yea man, the ESP jazz basses are friggin' amazing...I really haven't played a bad ESP bass yet...

20. Im stuck between two ESPS, the f-204 and the TA200 (tom arayas signiture) just wonderin if anyone has played either or both and which they prefer? because my local guitar store is pants, cheers