1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ESP BB-1005 Bunny Brunel Signature Video Review

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LowEndLobster, Mar 25, 2020.

1. LowEndLobster

LowEndLobster Bass reviewer and youtube dude guy. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2003
    Northern MA

Enjoy!

eastcoasteddie likes this.
  2. pedulla-2007

pedulla-2007 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2008
    texas
    Meh! The fretless version is the one to buy!

LowEndLobster and Dr. Cheese like this.
  3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Nice review, I checked one out myself about two years ago.

You kind of cracked me up with the Stingray because you did not want to put it down. I want to play a fretless Bunny Brunel Bass too.

LowEndLobster likes this.
  4. LowEndLobster

LowEndLobster Bass reviewer and youtube dude guy. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2003
    Northern MA
    Thanks Doc! I honestly wanted the fretless, but I couldn't find any at the time if purchase. I try to avoid paying full price whenever I can lol

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  5. luciens

luciens

Feb 9, 2020
    I had two of the Carvin Bunnies - a 4 and 6 string unlined FLs - and they were the best basses Carvin ever made, with the exception of the Bromberg signature (I had a 5 string Bromberg) which is now the best bass Kiesel makes. Don't ask what happened to all those basses; all I'll say is may they all R.I.P.

Anyway, BB apparently had a falling out of some sort with Carvin/Kiesel a few years ago; over what isn't entirely clear, but I think BB wasn't completely satisfied with the design. Regardless, that was the end of the Carvin BB series.

I only play 4 strings nowadays - my hands can't handle the gigantic necks anymore and I need light weight, etc. - and it doesn't look like ESP makes a fretless version of the 4 string. Otherwise, I'd be all over a 4 string one....

L

6. Nice review - looks interesting.

7. luciens

luciens

Feb 9, 2020
    BTW, here are some small clips of my (erstwhile) Carvin Bunny 4 and 6 FL. The 6 had had a nasty divet form in the fingerboard around the 2-3 "fret" area under the G and C strings - fixing it required taking a LOT of wood off the (ebony) fingerboard, which significantly changed the tone. The neck was a lot thinner afterwards, so it didn't sound like the Carvin Bunny 6 anymore. It now sounded more like the 4 string, but the clips give a general idea of the sound.

The recordings are awful, played through a Roland portable practice amp onto an iPhone sitting by the speaker.

But they don't sound quite like the ESP Bunny. I've heard Bunny Brunel play the ESP and it's little narrower sounding with a little less mids. I kind of prefer the ESP sound to tell the truth, but the Carvin humbuckers also didn't sound like Music Man humbuckers. They had a rounder, less brittle sound without the classic Fender "pinch" that you have on the MM:

Bunny 4:

Bunny 6:

L