1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ESP: Essential Sound Products

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FreaqyFrequency, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anyone heard of these cables? I note how prominently they display Vic's comments on their homepage.

http://www.essentialsound.com

I wouldn't like to see this thread get ugly, but threads like these always have this potential unfortunately.

2. gil_mor

gil_mor

Apr 24, 2006
    Sedona, Az
    (brings popcorn)

3. JFace

JFace

Apr 17, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    $180 for a power cord? No thanks.

4. JFace

JFace

Apr 17, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Correction: $800 for their top of the line cord.

5. Navybass

Navybass

Mar 12, 2005
    Norfolk, Va.
    Sounds like a lot of hoopla to me. There are quite a few factors about electricity, the first being how stable is your power coming into your house or club. Does it fluctuate? are there spikes in it?

This cable does NOTHING to stablize the power coming in. All it really does is shield EMI from leaving the cable, and supposedly provides less resistance from the plug to the amp.

I wouldn't waste my money on it, even if I was a professional musician like Vic.

6. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    We have these threads all the time, and it always gets ugly. Why? Because on the one hand you have people pointing out how a lot of the company's claims violate the laws of both physics and common sense; and OTOH you have people swearing on a stack of bibles that they can hear a clear, unmistakable improvement with those cables.

Neither side will let go easily, because for an engineer, established science is "unquestionable", and for a layperson, their own personal perceptions are "unquestionable".

7. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    In purely technical terms, the power transformer of a typical bass amp has a DC resistance of a few Ohms. If you make sure that the resistance of the power cord is a small fraction of the total series resistance in the power transformer and mains wiring, then its effect is guaranteed to be inaudible. This is basically the same rule as one follows for sizing the wire in a speaker cable.

Other important characteristics of power cables include safety, regulatory approval, ruggedness, flexibility, and cost. In my experience, the cables supplied with the amps that I have bought, have been sufficient.

As for shielding, a well designed bass amp should not need a shielded power cable. Amps undergo electromagnetic susceptibility testing as part of the regulatory approval process, and most interference is at frequencies that are far above the audio range.

There is a concern with high-end cables that they do not detract from stationary installations, but that the stiffness and weight of the cable can potentially damage the power entry of an amplifier in a portable application.

Other than that, have fun.

8. fdeck

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    The point of science is that it is eminently questionable. That's why theory gradually improves. What distinguishes science is merely the methods by which questions are dealt with.

9. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I agree with you in principle- I was talking about the reactions of individuals. Kind of like the founding principles of a religion vs. the actual behavior of its followers.

10. fdeck

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Understood! My approach in these sorts of debates is to identify which "side" I belong to, and simply present the technical knowledge as I understand it. This can be helpful to those who just want to know whether a claimed effect has a technical explanation.

11. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    We are definately not going down this road. :meh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.