Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ESP F-104

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by crustwarnow, Oct 12, 2005.

1. crustwarnow

crustwarnow

Oct 12, 2005
    I am thinking about getting an ESP F-104 bass. ive been doing some research on a bunch of guitars in that price range and the ESP is looking like the best choice so far. my question is (and i know i probly sound stupid for asking this) it says its 35" scale, and i was wondering if anyone could tell me what that meant? im a smaller guy and dont want to get a HUGE bass if the 35" scale means its a bigger bass body or neck or what? is it much different than a 34" scale (which i think i have now)? any help about this and/or input or recommendations about the F-104 if you have it would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
    Cheers!

2. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    34" is standard, but 35" really isn't that much different.

3. crustwarnow

crustwarnow

Oct 12, 2005
    does the scale mostly refer to the neck? it looks like the neck is a little bigger than alot of basses ive seen and played which is why im a little skeptical about getting one.

4. the scale is the distance from the nut to the bridge.. it isn't all that different, but if you play one you will notice.

5. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Well, the scale, like Godhead said, is supposed to be the measure from the nut to the bridge, but I've heard that sometimes that's not quite accurate? I forget where I heard this, but somebody said that if you measure from the nut to the 12th fret and then double that number you get a better idea of the true scale.

Anyway, yeah, you're just gonna notice it in the neck, butit won't be all that much different.

6. parkerd

parkerd

Mar 26, 2006
    Perth, WA

I think the reason for that is, the measure from nut to bridge is only correct if the itonation is. Because when your doing rough itonation, you measure nut>12th, then double that (to get the scale), and set the bridge saddles so that nut>bridge is equal to the scale size. Someone may want to correct me if I am wrong.

I guess this an old topic, so there was little point in mentioning that. I'm looking into getting an f-104 myself. The best stocked and priced music store here only has a small selection of basses in that range, and the ESP is looking to come out on top because of it's kick ass looks and features. Haven't read a bad review yet. The only two basses I would consider are the Yamaha RBX-734, and the Ibanez SRX-300. They don't seem as good to me, but I'll try em all out once the store gets the ESP in for me. :)

If anyone with the F-104 is reading, I'd like to know more about it! :)

7. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    I wanted a bass kike that but since im going fretless for the freedom icant:/

8. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i think it's from the nut to the E-string saddle.

i'm pretty sure you can't tell if a bass is 35" scale by looking at it. it's a 1" difference, but if you play it you'll feel it. 35" scales generally give you the tighter and more focused sounding B-string. IMO 34" is enough for a 4 string.