ESP F-205

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jagboy, Oct 2, 2004.

1. Jagboy

Sep 21, 2004
    I'm gonna get my first bass soon (5 string) and there is an ESP F-205 on ebay right now and im wondering if its anything worth buying.

2. Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    id start on a 4 if i was you. just my $.02
  3. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Jag, I believe it's one of the discontinued F-series basses that uses a different body wood than the agathis now currently used in LTD's F-series. People have mixed opinions of agathis, but the few folks here who've played the LTD F255 say the agathis sounds good to them. I dig the F's body shape. It's metal without being cheeseball. And the 35" scale is a plus for detuning.

I think ESP/LTD are an underrated company for basses IMO. Even their starter basses are reputed to be very well built. I was considering an LTD B-series bass for a good while.

However, when purchasing one's first bass, I recommend going to music stores and trying basses out. Even if you know absolutely nothing, you will still know which basses feel comfortable in your hands and strapped on your shoulder. You'll know which necks feel to thick for you.

I see nothing wrong with starting on a 5-string. He gets everything a 4-string can offer and more. Plus should he find himself in a situation where he needs to play a 4-string, he'll be able to.
  4. Jagboy

Sep 21, 2004
    Thank your for your replies. I read past threads on starting on a five string and I found that about 80%+ people wished they had started on a five string. My favorite artist plays a five string, so if I ever wanted to play his songs without bringing the low string up an octave, I need a five string. I am going to go try out basses at GC, but because the ESP F-205 is discontinued, I doubt they will have one. Any other suggestions on good beginner basses? What do I have to spend to get a bass that isn't complete trash? I dont need anything too fancy, just for starters. Once I get better, I will upgrade! :)

5. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Okay: Some good starter 5-string basses that can be had for at or under $400 new that are good:

-Ibanez GSR205- Bass Player magazine gave the 4-string version of that bass a pretty good review. It costs much less than my semi-starter Ibanez fiver did 9 years ago and it has more features (i.e. active boost and threaded brass inserts for the battery cover.) This bass comes highly recommended on this forum.

-Peavey Fury- I've tried the 6-string version of the Fury and was impressed. It looks, sounds, and feels like a more expensive instrument.

-ESP LTD B155- the 155 has a flame maple top and active electronics. ESP basses are reputed to be well built and use good wood. I've never played an ESP/LTD bass, but I was seriously considering buying a B series LTD for a good while.

-Spector Performer 5- this one may hit the price ceiling, but like all Spectors, it's a very good bass. I personally like Spector basses a lot. I love the way they balance, feel, and sound. 35" scale too.

-Yamaha BB405- Yamahas are good basses. Personally, I like them better than Ibanez basses mainly because I prefer Yamaha neck profiles over Ibanez neck profiles. My housemate has a BB 5-string and it's a great bass.

Others will have other suggestions as well.

Either way, like I said, try a bunch out and see what's comfortable for you. Playability is very important. If you have a bass that's uncomfortable to play, you're not going to want to play it.

And since you've shown that you're willing to buy preowned, definitely comb that market. Some great deals can be had on preowned basses, in terms of getting a higher-end bass for less money.
  6. hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    Hi Jag, welcome to the club! If the price is reasonable on the F-205, and it's in good condition, go for it. I doubt you'll be dissapointed. I had the F-204 for awhile, kinda wish I was able to keep it but I wanted a 5-string and came across a Spector Pro-Q5 that I fell in love with and traded the F-204 for it. Trade was the only way I was gonna get there. Different sound altogether which is the one reason I miss it but that's a story for another time. If you're going for metal, it'll really work for you.