1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ESP F-404 VS SPECTOR REX2000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tokin20deuce, Feb 23, 2008.

1. tokin20deuce

tokin20deuce

Oct 17, 2007
    I'm trying to decide which of these to get. I like the looks of both, and both have pretty nice specs to it (both maple, both EMG pickups, both active) The ESP is 3 band, the Spector is 2band. I've played ESP basses and love them, never played a Spector, but I hear they're great for hard rock/metal, which is what my band plays. Has anybody had any experience with either of these particular basses? can anybody offer any opinions on them? Thanx, I appreciate it.

2. bassaficionado6

bassaficionado6 Something about gumption

Jan 7, 2008
    Napa, CA
    Dude, get the Spector, they make quality instuments and the REX lokks 10X better IMO.

3. Well as I own the F-404 I would have to say get the ESP, but with the inlay it's not for everybody...

I have played both...

looks aside the F-404 sounds and feels better IMHO

4. tokin20deuce

tokin20deuce

Oct 17, 2007
    well im right back where i started :help:

5. I haeven't played the Rex model but I used to own a 'standard' Spector from the same series, and it was an incredible bass. The Rex is the same, bar the body shape. For your type of music, they are unbeatable IMHO.

The ESP basses I have played have never impressed me. They seem to have a foothold in the metal market because of their stylings, the tone was nothing special.

Spector's truly have their own sound. Listen to Down II. Admittedly a much higher model but mine could nail that tone no problems.:bassist:

6. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Played the REX, wonderful bass, excellent tone, great playability.
    Haven't had much experience with ESP, played a few and I've got nothing bad to say about them.

IMO you can't go wrong with either.

7. peaveyuser

peaveyuser Banned

Oct 18, 2006
    Montreal,Canada
    I'd get the Rex, Spector is fantastical :p

8. I have a ESP255FM. It doesnt have the EMG pickups - it has the ESP pickups. I suspect they a G & B like the 3 band preamp. I have to say its an awsome bass and value as well. The 3 band preamp absolutely rocks and is impressive. I play rock and slap with it. It would be perfect for metal. I think the REX is neat, but a little ugly for me. Get the ESP at 1/2 the price.
    ESP makes some really good stuff.