1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Esp F-405

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassiboy, Sep 22, 2008.

1. bassiboy

bassiboy

May 14, 2007
    Hello

I am considering to buy this bass. Allthough I am not completely convinced yet. Is there anyone here who can give me some input? How does the emg 40 work vs the 35 for instance? And is this a good bass to buy from esp? It must be said that I need a 5 string axe that looks cool and sound/plays great... Hehe. Guess that is no surprise when you are to buy a new guitar:hyper:

Thanks

2. I just sold my F255FM to make room for a new bass. I thought it was an excellent bass. Extremely good build quality, very versatile tone too. I will probably get the F5 down the line. The F255 came with ESP branded pickups and a G&B preamp. The F405 has EMG 40 pickups and EMG pre.

As for the difference between EMG 40 and 35. The 40 means its 40mm in length for a 5 string and the 35 is 35mm in length for a 4 string.

All I can say is you will be happy with any of the F series basses!

3. bassiboy

bassiboy

May 14, 2007
    Great! Thanks for the feedback. Guess I will place an order shortly:hyper:

4. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    I dont own an "F" Series but I DO own a "B" Series 4 stringer with a spalted maple top.
    The EMG electronics are really good as long as you like an active circuit that is NOT by-passable. Mine gets plenty loud, thats for sure. I can also get quite a bit of variation in the tone. Its also has the least noise of all 3 of my active basses when you're playing something more on the quiet side.

The build quality is very good-all the stock hardware is AOK and the frets were pretty much perfect. Everything is nice and solid.

Mine is very lightweight but thats where the biggest differences between the models will appear. Given that yours is a 5 string, it'll obviously be somewhat heavier than mine but mahogany is still a reasonably lightweight body wood so I would think your 5 should still be pretty easy on the shoulders.

Overall, I really enjoy my ESP and while it isnt my #1 player, it certainly doesnt just sit around for days on end.

5. djwackfriz

djwackfriz

Jul 31, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    I own the same as the previous poster - B404-SM, and I can vouch for the quality. I've played a few of the F-series basses and they sounded great, felt awesome and were comfortable on the shoulder.

As for the pickups, they are HOT. Tones of detail, and don't forget you can mod them (with only a tiny bit of soldering skill) to run on 18V, which increases the clarity and tone that you have access to.

Just jump, you'll be glad you did.