ESP F104

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nitrous3a8, Dec 13, 2003.

1. nitrous3a8

Nov 26, 2003
    i play mostly metal and heard that this bass was a good bass for this type of music. I was just wondering if anyone has one or tried and what they think of it,

and if any one knows what the differnce between a ESP F104 and a ESP F204? cause i cant see much of a difference, the prices are really differnt:bassist:
  2. well, it certainly has the metal look to it!
    in all seriousness, a lot of metal bassists play them, so it must be a good one for metal. it looks like the difference between the 104 and 204 are the types of wood used, different pickups, differenet bridge, and 300 dollars. the 204 looks like an upgraded 104 (which it probably is) I am guessing (correct me if i'm wrong) but it looks like the difference between a MIM fender and a MIA fender, the MIAs are made with a supposedly better wood and contains better electronics. I say supposedly because i have a fender MIM fretless jazz bass and it sounds as good (to me) as a MIA fender.
  3. nitrous3a8

Nov 26, 2003
    o, well right now i own a Washburn Pro Dscarschmidt, but REALLY REALLY want to upgrade, do u think buying a ESP F104 would be a upgrade?
  4. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    The new F series basses have a 35" scale, the B204 series has 34". The body on the F is made of mahogany, the B204 is basswood with a maple top(at least it is in the newest ones). The F series still has EMG-Hz pickups, the B series now has ESP pickups.

Never played any Washburn Oscar Schmidt basses so I couldn't comment on the upgrade part, but if I'm not mistaken Oscar Schmidt's are one of Washburn's lower end lines. Hope this helps.
  5. Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    ok i played the F-104 and own the F-204 and the B-305...(im an ESP nut)

204 is 35 inch but im not sure bout the 104.
    The only difference in tone was that the 204 sound fuller but only slightly, i played both of em through the same amp and was surprised.
    i still prefer the 204 and the 104 is pretty damn good. good slap on both, nice low action.
    the 204 has the jack thing sort of hidden and the lead doesnt hang down when its plugged in. if you know what i mean(it sticks out the back more not the botton)

quality basses my friend
  6. nitrous3a8

Nov 26, 2003
    alright cool, that helps alot thanks all
  7. laststand666

May 18, 2008
    actually the F-104 does not have that good of sound i got it as my second bass and was extremely impressed but after playing for a while and hearing good sound i moved on if you are going to buy an ESP with this look buy the 404 it's more expensive but the EMG's give it the sound the 104 lacks
  8. JFace

Apr 17, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    My first bass was an ESP B-104. I think it has the same pickups. It has a really good passive sound, great for metal. It really depends on what kind of sound you want, but if you want an old school metal, a la iron maiden, black sabbath, then I think it's great. If you want a modern sound like Tool or Mudvayne, you might want to check into active pickups/electronics.