ESP F204 .. could use some feedback

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Magneto, Jan 24, 2004.

1. Hello,

I've searched around this forum for information about ESP basses. I've never played one. In earlier threads, there were several people that had, and a couple that had just purchased the F204 model.

That bass seems to have alot for the price, and I can't help but love the sharp edges and style.

If any owners of ESP (especially the F204) basses could let me know what they like or dislike about it, how the neck action feels, and overall sound qualities, I'd surely appreciate it.

2. bump this one..

3. Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    I like my B-104... but I definitely prefer my Fender Geddy Lee.

There is something weird about my neck that it doesn't stay in tune so well... It's curved a bit on one side when the other is dead straight.

I think it's a good bass, especially for the price I paid for it.

Use the "Search" feature?
  4. Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    OK mate, its an excellent bass, firstly the design rocks, its medium weight i think.
    you can do LOTS with the sound, very customizable, from muddy to extremely crisp and bright.
    Id say its suited for all styles of music, especially metal.
    great slap tone (emg's) and generally very loud even an a 25 Watt amp.
    Its very very solid, i accidentally dropped it, felt real bad..but nothing happened to it

hope that helps Mag

5. It sure does help, and thanks for the info..

6. If I am not mistaken this is a metal bass pure and simple, the looks obviously are the first indicator of that (again if what you are talking about is the same thing I have in mind). I own a B-204 with EMG-Hz pickups in it. It is pretty versatile though, and thus I would assume that the model you are talking about would be capable of being versatile too. This is the first non-fender guitar I have owned (I got mine used, not sure how old) and I love it. Only problem with it was the previous owner ripped the back strap button out, somehow. A little bit of wood glue fixes it though.

I do like a lot about it though. Like having the active p-ups, great tone. The neck is a little chunkier, which most people would think to be slower, but I wouldn't necessarily say that. I would say the action is fast, but the neck is slow if that makes sense. Like the neck is very full (good resonance to it) and the fretboard is more flat and smooth. I like having the 24 frets, the hardware is great too. It is just a well built bass, very solid feel to it.
  7. Alright...i have tried many ESP basses, and i can tell you they are great basses in their price range.
    I find them comfortable and quite versatile.
    Its a good value IMO.
  8. I guess the gothic style of the F-204 would lead people to think it is just a metal bass, but I love the sharp body lines. It does something to me when I look at it. I play all types of music, from semi-metal to jazz, to country. Too many of the basses on the market tend to look too much the same.

I guess they call to other people too. A used black F204 just sold for 290.00 at Ebay with 35.00 shipping on top of that. Not sure what these list for retail, but zZsounds has them listed for 350.00 with free shipping.. oh well?

9. In Flames

In Flames

Dec 11, 2003
    Im picking one up Feb 5th. I can't wait!
  10. hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    Hi Magneto, good luck with your F204. I'm sure you'll be happy. I had one and the only reason I parted with it was to move up to a Spector 5-string. The neck was very stable, I picked up mine at East Coast Music Mall in Danbury, CT a couple years back and it was my main ax for most of that time. The style does lead one to believe it's made for Metal, where it excels without question, but it rocks in many other genres. Has a tone that cuts through the mix well. Get funky with it, slap, jazz, that's where it really gets out there. I think you'll be pleased. Great value for the money. Just my .02! Take care.

11. I found a F-204 at one of my local shops that I had been out of touch with. Went down there to play it. It was a titanium finish model, which looked ALOT better in person than from online photos.

The F204 was a med-heavy bass, seemed nicely balanced, and the quality seemed very good. Even though it has the sharp-looking "gothic?" lines on the front, the bass is really well-rounded and smooth all over, including the headstock.

The neck felt like it was made for my hand. Not too fat, not too skinny.. The string action was a bit higher than I normally would have it set at, but it was adjusted nicely, and even the high frets were as equally playable as the low ones.

I tested it on a Peavey stack, volume turned down low. Even though I did not touch the amp's controls, I was able to get a wide variety of sounds from the 204's eq and balance controls. The bridge pickup is set VERY close to the bridge, so if you want a really bright sound, it's not hard to get there.

I guess I could go on and on about this. I couldn't find anything that I did not like about this bass. Great looks, great feel, great quality, great sound...

I have one on backorder. Hopefully they will ship on time..

Thanks again for all the help..

12. In Flames

In Flames

Dec 11, 2003
    Thank you for the review. I am actually ordering the 5 string version. I can't to play it.
  13. VarAcToR

Aug 31, 2008
    Hey all,

I know this is an old post but this Bass guitar ( F 204 ) is really amazing, I got one, toured with it, played a huge amount of gigs with it and also founf myself in the air a couple of times without having a neck broken afterwords...