Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ESP f205 quality?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Skavenger, Jul 7, 2002.

1. Skavenger

Skavenger

May 26, 2002
    Sweden
    I'm buying an ESP f205, how's the quality on them both sound -and constructionwise? Anyone got some reviews?

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The construction is OK, but that varies. You might get something worth playing, or a hunk o' doo. Quality control isn't tops. The sound isn't likely to be all that great either (EMG HZ pups, correct?).

Of the ones I've played, I wasn't impressed.

3. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    I've got a C-305. Construction is great, and the pups, EMG HZ, sound decent. Nothing bad, just okay. It could be better with an upgrade to new EMG DCs w/ an EMG BQC 3-range pre.

I suggest the C-305 over the F-205 because when I played it, I found its construction and feel kind of cheap. The C-305 feels beefy and well-constructed. I totally recommend it. I tried to upload my review of it here, but if you'd like to see the review I made of it, go here: My ESP C-305 review

4. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I have a B-305 (1999 model I think) that I bought used. There is an obvious bad spot in the finish, but otherwise construction is first rate. I've had plenty of basses and this one is one of the best.

5. Skavenger

Skavenger

May 26, 2002
    Sweden
    Godammit, are there any 5-string basses that sound good, look deathmetal and cost like $1000??

6. Sure, get a Carvin B5 with a black finish, etc.

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Uh oh. You're playing a bad game there Skav. If you're looking for a bass that "looks" death metal, you're going to be awefully dissapointed in 99% of all products you'll try. The reason you see most of your metal hero's with large, point basses, are because they are handbuilt, custom models. You don't see a lot of them playing BC Rich or ESP anyway. It's not worth you time or your dime to get something just because it looks scary. How hard you rock is not measured in how pointy or how agressive your bass looks.
    Looks should be the LAST thing on your list. If you want something you'll be happy with, a list should read like this:
    Playability, Construction, Function (both ergonomic and electronic), Price, and then looks as a very last, almost insignificant factor in your bass. You might think, for example, that Carl Thompson basses are kinda ugly, but then you play one, and realize why people buy them

Believe me, your credibility as a metalhead will not be compromised simply by not having a "metal" bass. There's tons of guys out there that rock it on the 4 string P bass. It's up to YOU to bring the metal out of the bass. Don't get looks.
    I think, being metal, you'd want a few factors, like punch, clarity or growl, and good lows and low mids.

Ask about those, and I'm sure you'll find something a lot better than any ESP or BC Rich.

8. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I'd say Brendan is right about just about any bass being "right" for what you want to play, and you could do a lot worse than a 4 string P Bass.

That being said, although my American Standard P Bass was pretty, I find my ESP is an excellent sounding instrument and more tonally flexible than my P was. I don't think I'd care for a model with all the little points and angles on it- the paint will come off pretty fast and you will have lots of chips and dings.

9. I've played in speed/thrash/death bands for years, and I've always hated pointy guitars, with the exception of flying V's and explorers. I was going to have a DP custom built 5 string explorer made, but dont have the money. My current Fender FMT Deluxe V is killer, the thing looks beautiful (wow, not a "death" word :p ), and I'm still playing thrash at 35.

One option you might want to consider is a Spector 5, the Pantera sig model. Dont think its $1000 though.

Greg