Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ESP J-Five: any good?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassGuyNL, Nov 23, 2001.

1. BassGuyNL

BassGuyNL

Jul 20, 2000
    The Netherlands
    There's a nice looking used ESP J-Five sitting in the window of one of the local shops for a reasonable price. I am looking for a mid-priced J-style 5 string. Has anyone played/owned one?

2. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    They are very, very, nice axe's. At least the one I've encountered was. How much do they want for it?

http://www.obopry.com/audio.htm?Audio=+Audio+Clips+

Here are some song clips of the bass I'm familiar with. Amarillo by Morning is probably the most representative of it's live tone.

3. BassGuyNL

BassGuyNL

Jul 20, 2000
    The Netherlands
    Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, the sound quality of my computer is not that great.

I haven't had a chance to try it. It costs 1800 Dutch guilders, which is about US$ 750.

4. Tapp

Tapp

Aug 29, 2001
    USA, Mississippi
    On my Steely Dan DVD (the most recent live performance) the bass player is playing an ESP 5 string; don't know if it's the same model. Very nice looking and sounding bass on the DVD; real Hifi sounding, slap tone on "Peg" was a bit thin though but that may be the amp?

Tapp

5. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I don't think it's the same model. I believe Tom Barney has a custom-made model. Appearantly ESP's custom-shop is hot stuff, from what I've heard.

6. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I saw a S-dan tv thing with Tom barney. It was the same model. His was a really nice natural quilt top. They're active so they can get pretty top heavy. They were 1200-1400 new without the ego-wood top. I can't comment on the dutch market but for 750, I think I might go with a used fender jazz 5 with a J-retro in it.

The esp J5 I played is a very, very, well made and nice feeling bass. IMHO