1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD ESP Japan 400 Series J-Four Jazz Bass - Candy Apple Red w/Matching Headstock

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by jtlee, Oct 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jtlee

jtlee

Mar 2, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    TRADED!

Here is a 1987 ESP 400 Series Jazz Bass. Made in Japan, sweet neck, sweet tone. Sounds like a vintage jazz should - true passive single coil tone. And the neck just plays itself.

The bass has been used and the body shows some "mojo", but nothing that is glaring or visible from a distance (as you can see from the pics - taken from 3 feet away). No cracks, dents of major dings, just minor cosmetic wear from normal use - some finish nicks and scuffs and some buckle rash on the back. I've included closeups of all the wear so you get a good idea - these pics were taken with the light shining directly on the wear w/a macro lens, so they exaggerate the wear a bit. But I want the new owner to see everything.

The neck is another story - it's excellent, near mint condition! No wear on the back of the neck, fingerboard/frets are super clean. Neck is straight and truss rod works smoothly. Just set it up with a new set of DR Marcus Miller Fat Beams (45-105) with medium/low action. Sounds/plays amazing.

All the parts are original save the bridge and the neck plate. There was a really ugly replacement bridge on the bass w/narrow spacing, so I installed a vintage style bridge from a Fender. Works and sounds beautiful. Electronics work perfectly (sprayed out all the pots too). Replaced all the pickguard screws with new stainless steel screws.

Specs:
    Body: Alder
    Neck: Maple neck w/rosewood fingerboard
    Frets: 21 medium
    Pickups: ESP Alnico single coils
    Preamp: None
    Controls: Volume, Volume, Tone
    Scale: 34"
    Bridge: Fender vintage style
    Tuners: Original Chrome

Selling for $500 shipped in the US. International shipping is no problem, just PM for quote. Comes with a like new, non-original gig bag.

ESPJbody1.

ESPJbody2.

ESPJbody3.

ESPJback.

ESPJHS1.

ESPJHS2.

ESPJding1.

ESPJding2.

ESPJding4.

ESPJbridge.

ESPJscratch.

2. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Bump for this sweet thing.

I recognize a good thing when I see it. I got mine already in the form of an old Aria Pro II J copy so I don't need this. But it is hard to pass it up. If you can get over the headstock shape you will be rewarded!

3. serein2j

serein2j

May 25, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Very tempted..... now I have to decide if I want to import the willows spunky standard new from abroad..... or this....

4. Do you still have this?

5. engage757

engage757 Banned

oh my lord! if this is still available, pm me please! I am looking for one of these!

6. jtlee

jtlee

Mar 2, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Sorry guys...traded. Updated the original post and closed thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.