Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ESP Jeremy Marshall Signature Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kraig99, Apr 23, 2003.

1. Has anybody ever played the ESP Jeremy Marshall Signature bass? For anybody who doesn't know, Jeremy Marshall is the bassist from Cold and I am referring to the cheaper import model because I assume there aren't many of the expensive USA ones around. I assume it might sound fairly similar to my Spector Rex, because of the pickups, but how do ESPs play? Here's a link:
    http://www.espguitars.com/html/marshall_jm500.html

2. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Actually.. looks pretty decent to me! I even like the spider inlays. I've heard that ESP Ltds play fairly well, and that neckthru/35" scale construction should give decent B tension too.

It's running against some pretty hard competition though, I think Lakland Skylines and MTD Heirs should be in that range.. :meh:

3. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Yea it does look pretty nice. I like the sound of the EMG-hz pickups. The body woods are pretty nice too. However like Tsal said, its up against some pretty awesome basses in its price range. I'm very surprised with the ESP signature series, looks like some pretty decent stuff.

4. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    that guy has pretty hair...

5. C'mon, there must be somebody out there who has played one of these. BUMP.:)

6. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Don't be surprised that noone's responding. ESPs aren't terribly popular here, and it's not the most popular model. The Jeremy Marshall is basically just an ash version of ESP B-304s and 305s. These are more common, maybe you should ask about those.

7. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    All it is a diffrent neck and body wood. Same as the B-305, and its got diffrent pickups. 1k is alot for a bass, But you would probably like it if you like his metal sound.

PS,.....Hes one of my favorite bassists.

8. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    According to the ESP catalog, they both (B-305 and Jm-500) have EMG-HZ 40s. The higher-end USA one (Kraig said he's not looking at) has the ceramic EMGs.

9. I haven't been to the board in a while, or I would have posted earlier.

I just recently picked up a JM-500. It is a nice instrument. I got a B-305 about a year earlier and ended up sending it back because I wasn't happy with it. The JM-500 is _significantly_ nicer than the B-305.

The one I got was well set up right out of the case. The neck is a bit on the thick side, and the string spacing is tight, but it does play well. The low B isn't bad. I have yet to throw a set of the DR strings I like on it though. I assume that will help in the string tension department. I am using it tuned down a whole-step and it still plays fine. Although I still plan on taking it to a tech for a total setup job.

As for the electronics, they sound fine the way they are, but the output is relatively weak and the bass makes all sorts of noise depending on the direction it's facing compared to where the amp is. I planned on replacing the electronics before I even got it, but after hearing the noise and experiencing the low output, I absolutely must replace the pickups. Consider though that I have a Zon Sonus Special V to compare it against. It's not really a fair comparison seeing that the Zon costs three times as much. That said, I plan on gutting it and replacing everything with new pickups and a preamp from Bartolini. This is mainly an attempt to get it to sound closer to the Zon. I'm sure that most people would be fine with the sound of this bass as it is, but I would recommend at least dumping the EMG-HZ pickups in favor of active EMGs. Maybe improving the sheilding in the cavity would help the noise problem. I'm sure the ESP model would be much nicer if you can afford it.

Overall, I'm happy with it though. I just want to replace the electronics to try to get "my" sound out of it. I use Bartolini in all of my basses. The bass looks bad-ass and it is solid. Kind of heavy too. Neck-through, 35" scale, deep cutaway, cool black satin finish, wicked spider inlays in the neck, smoked black chrome hardware, ... yeah, it's cool.

Go for it, man. If you've got specific questions, feel free to ask.

Brian

P.S. Check out the new website!!!

DSG - David Shankle Group
    http://www.davidshanklegroup.com

10. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    i've played a few of the ltd's here and there (couldn't tell you which though) and haven't been terribly impressed. nothing bad mind you, just not "wow!"

that said, i've fallen in love w/ this and would die to find one