1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ESP LTD B-204 flood rehab !

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by braud357, Dec 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. braud357

braud357 Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Gonzales, LA
    1. ESP LTD B-204 bass guitar rehab !
    2. I recently purchased this bass guitar from my friend Ty Parker. The initial problem was that the neck was cracked near the headstock due to a fall. Then, the flood of 2016 flooded Ty's home - the bass was sitting on a bed, and although the bass was never submerged, it sustained heavy damage from humidity. The tuners were also missing, and the bridge, electronics, and every screw were either rusted or corroded. I decided to repair the neck fir...st, because if this could not be fixed - the rest was a moot point ! The crack and separation was clean and I initially was going to clamp, glue, and drill and install wooden dowels for strength. I decided to just glue it, and the repair appears to be stable. Almost every screw was broken trying to remove them. The bridge was so corroded that a replacement had to be found. I tried to clean up the EMG electronics - the pickups checked out fine, but the EMG preamp did not survive the humidity. A new EMG preamp was $180 - so I decided to find a less expensive alternative. After some research I decided on a Tone Monster preamp. The pickup connector plugs were also corroded beyond repair, so they were ordered from EMG. I finally got everything installed and set-up, and the bass plays and sounds fine. The case was included but was water damaged - I have not decided if I will devote the time and effort to repair it. The pictures show the damaged parts and also the finished product. I think that it came out pretty well !

Attached Files:

digmeout likes this.