1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ESP LTD B-206 6-String Bass Guitar

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dlectronic, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Dlectronic

Dlectronic

May 17, 2008
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-B206SM-6String-Bass?sku=513745

Does anybody have any experience with this bass? I have a low budget, but want the range, feel, and look of this six string. Untill now, Ive only gone up to 5 strings.

I dont think this is a cheap bass, but my only beef with it is that its bolt on..Do any of you more experienced players know of any ups/downs with a bolt on necked bass?

2. Sandu

Sandu

Oct 23, 2007
    Bucharest, Romania
    There's absolutely no problem with bolt-ons. Debates over bolt-on vs. other neck connections are usually irrelevant, and the conclusion is that, apart from a handful of firsthand experiences that some guys might have, there's not that big a difference soundwise. The bolt-on type might affect the playability (heel getting in the way), but if you're cool with it, there's no problem.

About the bass, IMO it's a good choice for the money. I had my sights set on it a while ago, but I went for a custom instead after getting some more cash (they're ridicolously priced around here, over 850$). Here are some clips

3. Dlectronic

Dlectronic

May 17, 2008

:eek: after seeing those vids, Im sold..That thing has gooood tone IMO!

I could clearly hear those lower notes as well, and the looks of the bass is great (I like natural, non stained wood tone).

Thanks for the quick reply dude!

4. -Kramer-

-Kramer-

Dec 9, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    I had the B-206FM. Overall it was a great 6-string for the price. My only complaint was that the preamp was mediocre at best, but you could tweak a good sound out of it.

My only hesitation with ordering that bass today would be the fact that Rondo offers some very good looking basses that are about half the price of that bass.

5. TMacATK

TMacATK

Jul 9, 2008
    Davis, CA
    That LTD is basically what my Brice HXB 406 is copying. It's a pretty decent bass, and it sounds nice now that I put a Bartolini preamp.

My guess is that the overall build quality on the LTD is nicer than the Rondo music basses. The Brice basses are about $300 (I got mine for $150 used) and the Bartolini preamp is about $200. If the LTD is a decent bass stock, it might actually be worth it to buy it and keep it stock.

6. Mingus

Mingus

Aug 23, 2007
    Miami
    I tried the fiver of that once. Maybe it was just me, but I didn't like how it felt when I sat down.

7. Dlectronic

Dlectronic

May 17, 2008
    Ehh the Brice basses are nearly identical to the Rogue "pro" 6 stirngs...im talking extreemely close in build, aside from color.

*Shudders*

Ive been so disapointed with the tone of ROgues I dont want to do with any of their products except the one I havent sold already (the 4 string fretless...all black. its a sexy bass :) )

8. Arlo Barlow

Arlo Barlow

Jan 24, 2009
    I just bought one today - it played beautifully and sounded fantastic through the high end rig in Sam Ash in canoga park, CA. I also played a more expensive new ESP five string with a through neck and a used ESP tthrough neck five string and neither were as nice to play as this bolt-on six string.

For the money the fit finish and playability is pretty good. Most stores are selling this at 30% off list. I got whole $12 off that by haggling!

With the gig bag and tax I was out the door for $495.

I didn't notice in the shop, but when I got it home and finally had a chance to play, the open g-string is buzzing on fret 1. I'll file the fret down and it should be fine.

9. ESP makes excellent stuff. The LTD stuff is their cheaper line, but very good stuff. Ive never been let down by the ESP/LTDs that I have had. Bolt ons are fine. My only complaint with the ESP basses is the string spacing. I prefer mine on the wider side. not narrow. Get it! you will be happy!

10. Arlo Barlow

Arlo Barlow

Jan 24, 2009
    One thing I forgot to mention - the ESP basses I tried were considerably lighter than the LTD. This was apparent when I stood on tip toe to retrieve one from the wall in Sam Ash and was able to bring it down whilst holding it by the very bottom of the body.

It certainly wasn't a feat of strength.

Whilst sitting with my new LTD 6 string yesterday I became very aware of the weight after an hour or so of playing.

11. LennyPenny

LennyPenny

Mar 14, 2011
    Belgium
    Could you tell me how much it actually weighs? I own one (flamed maple, not spalted) but I don't have scales and I would like a reference. I'm working on a custom 6-string and I definitely want to keep it lighter than the B-206.

12. xfretlessx

xfretlessx

Dec 17, 2010
    Mohawk, NY
    Ya i have one. I use it as a back up because i much prefer my fretless 6 string, but i have not any trouble with it and was pretty impressed with it. Mine was set up good enough from the factory but i tweaked it a little anyway. I like the tone and i would say go for it. Looks great too IMO with the spalted maple

13. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Its got the extended deep set 6 bolt neck attachment. Ive seen and handled them in stores a couple times. Very nice inexpensive sixer with better then average playability for sixer to me. Still, to many strings for me. Lol.