ESP LTD B-50 For De-fret and pickup swap?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass-shy, Feb 13, 2005.

1. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    I know these are not the finest basses, but they fit the criteria of the bass I have been looking for as a project. I am considering removing the frets, installing an active EMG P/J set, and adding a string-through bridge. I'll probably strip and re-finish the back of the neck and the top as well. I can order one online for about $180.00 US and the pickups and bridge add another $200.00 US. My question is: Does anyone have experience with the B-50 and, if so, is it solid enough to invest in for these upgrades? Thanks in advance.....
  2. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

Not that bass but a low end bass and personally I'd make my project finding a low-end fretless bass where you know what you have ahead of time - not making one from a fretted (where you won't know ahead of time). Not that it can't be done successfully but the fingerboard needs to be able to go practically dead level and the defret needs to be successful cause it's permanent for all practical purposes.

There is virtually no tolerance in a fretless setup, no decent mwah if the strings are much more than a hair off the fingerboard, and a refret is about $300. I found it a lot easier to learn to play than to set up.

There are some decent cheap fretless basses out there.