Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass-shy, Jan 7, 2006.

1. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    I just got one of these a couple days ago. I know it is nothing special, especially compared to some of your collections, but it's price definitely doesn't reflect it's quality. This is a sweet playing and sounding bass. Granted, the bridge single coil is a little noisy, everything else is great. I defretted it yesterday and now it is even sweeter. ESP should really offer some of their models as fretless. Does anyone else own a B-50? How do you like it?

It's the last one down.

I already defretted it, and I'm planning on replacing the hardware and pickups. I will most likely refinish it, too. Any suggestions?
  2. Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    It's a good enough bass for messing around with, which is what you plan on doing anyway. I'm with you on hot rodding a cheapy. I'm working on a bass right now (defretting an old BC Rich Platinum Virgin) that turned out to have a body made out of plywood!

Anyway, did you put any coating on the fretboard after making it fretless? And, what did you use to fill the slots?

BTW, I also have an ESP, but I have the F255 neck thru. Sweet bass.
  3. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Yeah, this is my second ESP. I was so impressed with my C-304 that I sold my Fenders. ESP must secretly know what I like. :) As far as defretting, I filled the slots with Minwax stainable wood filler and I treated the rosewood with lemon oil after sanding. After filing down the nut, I strung up a set of GHS Precision Flatwounds and did a complete set-up. Now I have a sweet playing fretless. I'm thinking about a set of EMG's next and then a Badass II bridge and some Grover Titan machines. When I'm done, I will have spent more than the bass is worth, just in parts, but I need to learn how to do all of these things eventually. Hope this helps and good luck with yours.
  4. I really want to de-fret my b-50 now! The only problem is it's my only bass...

Last year I put in an EMG P/J set and that really improved the bass overall, but honestly the tone isn't my thing (there's nothing WRONG with the tone... It's just not what I'm looking for at this stage.)

Attached Files: