Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ESP LTD B104's frets

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dstranathan, Jun 22, 2003.

1. dstranathan

dstranathan

Jun 1, 2003
    I just noticed that on ESPs web site, the only bass they sell that does NOT have dot marks on the fretboard is the B104, yet the specs claim it in fact has 24 frets (you can count them, it DOES have 24 frets).

Why is the B104 the ONLY ESP bass to not have the inlayed dots on the 24th fret? Even the B50, a "lower model" has the dots on the 24th fret.

Its a minor issue, but I am still curious.

Also, is it possible to have dots added custom by a local guitar tech/craftsman?

2. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    These look like dots to me:

[​IMG]

You may have been looking at the B-105. It's kind of hard to see the dots because the A string is in the way, and the dots are on the small side.

[​IMG]

3. dstranathan

dstranathan

Jun 1, 2003
    Thanks. I am referring specifically to the double-dots that are (or should be) at the 24th fret.

Notice they are missing on the B-104?

4. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    man i wish there was an option on all basses to not have fret dots. i love basses without fret markers, but if they don't have them, it has to have a rosewood fretboard. I know carvin does that, but carvins sound like poo.

5. stuie86

stuie86

May 9, 2003
    mckinney, tx
    ive noticed the same thing i own a b-205 and i do have the second octive fret dots but the b-104 does not... werid, id wonder a guess... factory mishap

but if that where true they would have found it by now.... is there any one out there with a b-104 who can help us out

6. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Maybe they assume that nobody who plays an ESP is going to be playing that high anyway. ;)

7. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    My B 105 does not have the 2nd octave markers either. I never noticed it until now.:D :confused:

8. dstranathan

dstranathan

Jun 1, 2003
    Do you like the B105?

What is the neck like? Is it flat? can you compare it to an Ibanez SR or SRX neck in terms of thickness?