1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ESP LTD B205 (ESP SB-5 PICKUPS)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Elusivecyp, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Elusivecyp

Elusivecyp

Jan 30, 2012
    Hey guys, I was recently looking out to buy a five string bass and I couldn't make my mind on which one to get. A friend suggested the ESP LTD B205 with SB-5 pickups but I couldn't find any sound tests or many reviews online (My local shop doesnt sell esp/ltd). I was wondering if any of you guys had any luck in trying out this bass or even using one with the ESP SB-5 pickups. Any help/tips that would help me make my mind would be really appreciated. Also if you think that there is a different bass around that price tag ($600) that would be a better feel free to let me know! :)

P.S. We usually play stuff from various genres so i need it to be versatile.

P.S.2 I will be running it through a Tech 21 Sansamp VTT Bass Deluxe pedal and Fender Rumble 100

2. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    I have a B-206SM, I love this bass a lot, the neck is to die for, regarding the pickup's, honestly I think they are kind of thin sounding but I do plug it into a ToneBone BassBone by Radial Engineering and it sounds way better.
    I've thought about changing the pickup's but that is a serious upgrade expense, I've already changed the tuners to Hipshots just due to the original LTD tuner's fell apart, the upgrade on the tuner's was definitely a smart move for sure and I don't regret that but replacing the pickup's, I just live with them.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    Elusivecyp likes this.
  3. Elusivecyp

Elusivecyp

Jan 30, 2012
    Thanks a lot for your response gwangi! I will keep that in mind and maybe look for something with better pickups! Cheers!

4. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I have an ESP LTD Stream 204 bass with SB-4 (the 5 string version the 205 has the SB-5 pickups). They're decent pickups, not great - very similar sound to the EMG-HZ pickups that were on my Schecter Elite. Passive pickups. Like mentioned above, I love the feel of the neck on my bass. Overall quality on mine is fantastic given the price I paid- I bought mine used for $199 plus shipping/taxes, was a little lucky on the price there - even if I had bought it used for $350 -( the normal going rate for a used Stream 204) I would say it would be well worth it. The ESP LTD 100 and 200 series basses are among their most inexpensive offerings- there is quite a gap between those and the next level up which usually cost around and upwards of $1K, so budget is relative when it comes to ESP LTD basses.
    However, if you're not adverse to looking at used basses, you can certainly find something better given your budget.

Elusivecyp likes this.
  5. Elusivecyp

Elusivecyp

Jan 30, 2012
    My first thought was to look for used instruments to get a better bang for the buck but there are very little to almost none basses for sale in my country (a small island). My best hope was to find something from thomann as paying the used price + shipping/taxes from a website like talkbass would come to a bit less than the actual price (plus the risk of damages at the mail offices). Therefore I figured it would be better to buy it new from thomann as I am familiar with their courier policies, due to some other instruments i bought from them. Yesterday, I found a small music store in my town that had the Yamaha TRBX505 which sounds pretty good on it's own (I will be running it through a Character VT bass delux and a Fender RUmble 100) which changed my mind a bit. I will most probable be looking into the Yammie as I can get it locally and for almost 150 less than the LTD.

6. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    I own a ESP LTD B206SM. And yes, neck IS to die for! In fact the whole bass is really nice. Super looks and pickups to me have what I call a "standard" active bass sound. Nothing spectacular to replace your Alembic or Ken Smith, but good solid nice sounding pickups. If you want spectacular you'll have t pay more. Given the great neck an upgrade is probably worth doing, but I haven't done it yet. My only complaint about he bass it's weight which is heavy. In my case I bought it because it looks very much like my Bass Mods 7 string bass which is also very heavy and also Spalted Maple. Makes for a truly spectacular looking pair of basses. My ESP LTD is spalted maple over ash and is heavy, but if I were to do it again I'd get the next model up which is nearly the same only the spalted maple is over mahogany. But it costs quite a bit more, even used. I actually bought mine new but it was on sale for nearly the prices you see them for now used. Feeding this bass into a decent eternal preamp goes a long way toward getting the sound more spectacular.