1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ESP Ltd B206SM Pickup locations

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gimmeagig, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Hi,
    I'm considering buying my first 6 string and the LTD B206SM seems to be the one.As I'm looking at what is available used I noticed that there are differences in the pickup location on the same model. I don't think this is an optical illusion.
    On Jazz basses I much prefer the 70s location (Bridge pickup a little closer to the bridge) vs the 60s location.
    Is this an issue on these basses as well. Did the company change pickup locations at one point without changing the model name?
    Take a look at these pictures of basses that I found online
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/ESP/LTD-B-206SM-6-String-Bass.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/ESP/LTD-B206SM-6-String-Electric-Bass-Guitar-113364260.gc

2. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    I think it's mostly an optical illusion! If you check the pickup positions vs "landmarks" on the bass such as the knob positions the pickups seem to be in the same place. On the other hand the two bridges seem quite different which I think is what gives the appearance.

3. I think you're right. It's an optical illusion. it seems when you take a flash picture from above, the pickup casts a shadow to make it look like it's really close to the bridge. OK I feel better now :)
    A lot of the 6 string basses with soap bars have sort of a quacky sound ( even Foderas and Ken Smith basses ) that I don't like at all. This bass seems to have slightly different pickup locations seems to have a bit more warmth and at the same time a nice clean guitar like character in the higher ranges.
    There are so many clips on youtube with this bass but I found one guy on there who can actually play. That sold me on this instrument

4. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    The pic's you are looking at are old pic's of that bass, the B-206 that ESP is putting out has the bridge pickup closer to the bridge, I should know I have a B-206SM and I asked the people at ESP about those pic's and they are old pic's of actual instrument that had those pickup's located the way they are.
    Actually at the ESP Showroom they still have that B-206SM with those pickup's located in the 60's position.

5. Interesting. So it's not an illusion. So are you saying that the older version has the 70s position like on a Jazz bass and the newer ones have the 60s?

6. DEMS854

DEMS854

Jul 15, 2017
    Detroit, MI
    I own one, I'm not such a big fan of the sound unless I run it through my sans amp... sort of sounds like what I imagine a bass made out of PVC would sound like. Plays okay and does what I need it to. I bought it when someone broke my p/j Warwick with Seymour Duncan basslines and preamp. It may just be that it's not my preference as I've grown accustomed to the wick, but I've had it for almost three years and it's still my only bass. As always you're mileage may vary. I think for the price point you would be hard pressed to find better. Maybe consider spending a bit more and getting a sire? That's what I would have done in hindsight.

7. I like the Sire basses too but I want a 6 string two octave neck 35" scale for a project where I do a lot of solos heads and chordal work. So if the bass isn't super full sounding that might not be a drawback. I just don't like the quackyness that comes from the two pickup being too close together. But I just found out that the LTDs are super heavy. The ones I saw used for a good price were at guitar centers and when I called them to find out how much they weigh I just got " we don't have a scale here"
    Oh well.I'll have to see if I can get someone private who sells his to give me an idea of the weight.

8. DEMS854

DEMS854

Jul 15, 2017
    Detroit, MI
    My bathroom scale says 12lbs on the dot. I've played a few of the others I've seen at guitar stores through comparable amplification as my own and they all seem to sound consistent. So if you get to try one you might see what I meant about the sound. I will also say the factory set up is not good... I don't remember what was wrong specifically, but it wasn't indicative of playability.

35 inch scale is nice for metal. I have mine tuned for drop c. GCGCFBb. Works for chugging and tappy ethereal stuff to tie songs together.

Included a picture for scale of pickup position.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    gimmeagig likes this.
  9. Thanks for that info. 12 pounds is not great but I could live with that. I'm pretty good at setting up basses so I'm sure I would get it to play great as long as the fretwork is good.The 35" scale is something I have learned to love. A little more tension but I can get the action lower without increasing the fret buzz. In my duo we play mostly Latin Jazz with drum and percussion tracks and often we have prerecorded bass where I play melodies or solos so I don't want a really fat deep bass sound anyway. I need to get more like a clean Jazz guitar sound. I am now going to ask each seller about the weight and I'll get the lightest one I can find. I might even get the bass chambered if that is possible. i have a friend who is a luthier. he might be able to get the bass to lose a pound.