1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ESP LTD basses, lifespan?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hutzbordello, Apr 16, 2010.

1. I have an LTD EX-104 and Im thinking about modding it with some new pups

however my friend said not to bother since they are entry level basses (LTD) and that I should just wait to save up for a better one

he has a viper and its like 3 years old and he says its dieing aka has a dead fret and a few other issues

So what would the general consensus be?

upgrade now and have new pups for later

thinking http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/EMG-EMGJ-Active-Bass-Pickup-Set?sku=301518

or

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Custom-Shop-60s-J-Bass-Pickup-Set-?sku=301640

thanks for the help guys

also if you any other suggestions for pups let me know

2. Kipaste

Kipaste

Jun 27, 2006
    Helsinki, Finland
    Basses don't die. They need to be maintained, but the engine will not run out (or actually it eventually will, since it's the player) and so on. If they did, 50 year old basses wouldn't be some of the most sought after basses. If the basses are poorly made, they can develop small problems with pots etc, but nothing couple minutes of soldering couldn't fix. And if the frets get worn, they can be leveled. But that doesn't usually happen in three years unless one spends 19 hours a day slapping with stainless strings..

Anyhow, the upgrade question is tricky. If the bass sounds good acoustically and is a solid player then the upgrade is not a bad idea. However, if it unamplified sound is less than perfect along with the playability, I think it would be waste of money. Personally, I've tried an inexpensive basswood LTD (not knocking basswood, it can be good too) of a student once and I wouldn't spend a dime on one, but that's me, not you. So you're really the only one who can answer the question. As I googled that bass I also noticed that it has soapbar pickups instead of jazz type single coils, so installing those would leave big routing holes visible.

If you decide to do the upgrade, be sure to keep the original pickups. If you decide to sell the bass later on, I doubt the new pickups would bring you a lot more resale value and I believe you'll be better off selling the pickups separately or keeping them for future projects. By the way, if you're interested in differend types of J pickups, go to the pickups forum and take a peek at the sticky J bass pickup megathread. You can find review for both of those pups and more from the first pages.