1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ESP LTD F-415FM - only for metal or good for funk / soul / blues?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Newer Dave, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Newer Dave

Newer Dave Guest

Sep 12, 2018
    London, UK
    Hi all

I've seen a few threads about these basses but they mostly mention them as good for metal. I know what it looks like but how does it play.

I'm mostly interested in funk, soul and blues. I know you can play anything on anything if you want to, but would you choose one of these for those genres or would you wait and get something else.

The reason I'm asking is that I've been offered one at what looks like a very advantageous price but I only have a short time to make a decision.

Thanks in advance for your help.

JaapA likes this.
  2. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    I would, but I like messing with people who act like they hear with their eyes.

3. Newer Dave

Newer Dave Guest

Sep 12, 2018
    London, UK
    :D Me too.

But I could do with something a little more definite. So could you be a little less enigmatic and maybe give a bit more information? Don't feel limited by my OP. Give me anything you feel might be pertinent to someone thinking of buying one.

Ta.

4. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    I mean, it's going to sound the same as any other bass with those same woods, pickups, hardware, and strings. Other than the pointyness, it's a mid-priced, middle of the road instrument with flexible, if unremarkable, electronics that will probably work fine for anything if it's being played by someone who knows what they're doing.

5. Newer Dave

Newer Dave Guest

Sep 12, 2018
    London, UK
    Have you played one?

Some of the reviews seemed to suggest that it is good value for the money. I'm mostly interested in hearing from someone who has owned one or at least played one.

6. Billy889

Billy889

Sep 29, 2018
    +1
    [​IMG]

7. Newer Dave

Newer Dave Guest

Sep 12, 2018
    London, UK
    Have you played it? Did you like it?

What was it like?

I can't tell from your posts if either of you have actually played it.

8. Newer Dave

Newer Dave Guest

Sep 12, 2018
    London, UK
    Also I was told that the EMG 40DC pick ups are quite fancy.

Is that the case or are they unremarkable?

9. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Yes. There was nothing remarkably good or bad about it. It does what it says on the tin.

Thick McRunfast likes this.
  10. Newer Dave

Newer Dave Guest

Sep 12, 2018
    London, UK
    K. Thanks.

Worth it at $560 in pretty much new condition?

My current bass is a Tanglewood TE4 so very much entry level. In your opinion is this a meaningful upgrade or pretty much the same?

11. Newer Dave

Newer Dave Guest

Sep 12, 2018
    London, UK
    Ok. Ima do the smart thing and keep my money until I know enough to be sure about what I'm doing with it for myself.

It's just it's soo shiny!!!! I don't know what GAS means but I've seen it a few times and I think I might have got it.

EDIT: Fixed typo

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    osonu likes this.
  12. icecycle66

icecycle66

Feb 4, 2009
    Arizona
    You can do anything with the EQ system on that bass.

13. Newer Dave

Newer Dave Guest

Sep 12, 2018
    London, UK
    Do you think it's worth it at $560?

14. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    Play what you want to play and who cares what folded-arms guy and whisper-behind-the-hand guy think.............Ive fallen in love with my Ibanez Destroyer DTB400 that I have lately been using for funk/pop/dance....Def Jam Leppard :D...

Aqualung60 and Newer Dave like this.
  15. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    I own an ESP LTD F-414 FM and can tell you that is far from unremarkable. ;)

I have owned it since 2009 and it does have EMG DC pickups which are extremely high output at 9 volts. It is actually louder than my G&L M2000 GTB which is 18 volts. You can get many different tones off of it, balanced very nicely, has a thin neck which makes it very easy to play, stays in tune throughout the night on a gig and is definitely an attention grabber.

It is a great bass that I don't see myself ever parting with. If you like it, there is no reason whatsoever to not get it. IMHO.

16. C_Becker

C_Becker

Mar 30, 2017
    Germany
    I own an LTD F-5, which IIRC has the same electronics. I played the 415 in a store once, no complaints from me.
    Stock pickups are not bad sounding, if a bit bland. But that on the other hand means it is versatile - not outstanding at one thing, but not bad at anything either. Shape the sound to your liking with a compressor and EQ.

For 560$, you would get a really well made bass, and you can upgrade the electronics later if you like.
    I suggest trying it out and if you like it, buy it. Its not limited to any kind of music, almost no solid-body bass is.

EDIT: Forget what I said, the 415 has the EMG 40DCs, those are great active pickups, lots of output and punch. Those EMG preamps are also great to work with. Its a 1000€ here new, so for 560$ its a steal IMHO.

wmmj and Newer Dave like this.
  17. spaceatl

spaceatl

Jun 22, 2018
    I have an LTD B-205. Got it for $400...Electronics are not that great. I installed EMG 40P5s in both positions with a BQS...I had the BQS already and bought the pickups from EMG for $40 each. They were NOS from 2007...So about $480...The build on LTDs is an incredible value IMO and they are good for any style of music...It's the wizard, not the wand...

Newer Dave likes this.
  18. Newer Dave

Newer Dave Guest

Sep 12, 2018
    London, UK
    Thanks guys. I converted the price from £ UK.

It's on offer at £429, lightly used. The cheapest new one you can buy here is £819 or £829 - I forget which.

I get the impression it's a nice instrument and excellent value for the money. I'm very tempted and as you say - misery guy and whisper guy weren't very helplful. It's just that until now they were the only two replying on the thread.

19. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    LOL - I wasnt talking about anybody on TB or in this thread ---- I was referring to the guys that show up at your gig at the back of the room, one with folded-arms and the other whispering behing his hand, that have nothing better to do with their night than to criticize the band....those guys seem to be at everybody's gig at any given night :D

good luck!

lz4005 likes this.
  20. Newer Dave

Newer Dave Guest

Sep 12, 2018
    London, UK
    Oh dear. Now I've done it.... :roflmao: