1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ESP LTD F-5E @ $150? tell me the bad news!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass V, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    got a local line on one w/ soft case and I've yet to find a single negative, if it were a 4 str I wouldn't have much concern or questions, but the 5th string is always the potential deal breaker if it's not a 5er's strong point and this would be my first venture into that world. since there's minimal postings here about these I'm asking for every possible legitimate disapproving comment out there except regarding the body style. thanx!

upload_2017-9-10_23-36-12.

CaseyVancouver likes this.
  2. Flippy

Flippy

Jun 9, 2017
    Europe
    Is this the only pic available? Perhaps the 5th string tuner is broken or missing :D

ThePresident777 likes this.
  3. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I'm so jazzed about this thing I don't care if the neck's broke in half!
    I just sent an email hoping the seller will hold it til pay day... it's been up for a month!

4. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    here's more...

upload_2017-9-11_3-15-47.

5. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    hmmm, no bad news to report?
    now that's sounding awesome!

6. Yeah id jump all over it at that price. I had it's big brother the F-415fm. Was a great bass for the money. Had looked at getting the f-5e as a backup for the f-415fm and eventually put matching EMGs in the f-5e but before that happened i got a deal on another high end Warwick that I couldn't refuse and sold off both my 4 and 5 string ESPs to pay for it.

IMO the ESP F body shape while wild looking is actually really comfortable. If you look at them from the end you can see why, they have kind of a triangular shape that's really nice. kind of like their take on a contoured body design. It's not countoured but it is nice and comfortable. IMG_3446.JPG

If anything I'd probably just upgrade the pickups in the f-5e to the EMG 40DC I recorded our newest album with the f-415fm. Actually it did make it into the first music video before I sold it to pay for my Warwick. And the song shows these aren't just "metal basses"

/\/\3phist0, wvbass and Bass V like this.
  7. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    v cool reply, nice bass, and sweet lil video, thanx for that!
    the bridge looks the same, what is your opinion on those, and were there any B string issues?
    I like the action low and soft, hoping that's easily accomplished.
    this will be used for hard / med. classic rock and the stock PUs sound really good on review videos, maybe less intense styles and volume will suit these better. could you dial in some Fender P or J tones? I have that stuff so no deal breaker at all, it seems to have it's own thing going, that's a plus.
    best of luck in your career!

8. I'm usually more of a traditionalist on body style but these always look good to me with the wood shading and body carve. Less crazy about the headstock but works with the overall. I will add that I love my ESP Vintage 4s and LTD 204 and 214 Fretless .

Bass V likes this.
  9. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

The low B up and decided to be a no B?

Seriously though, I'm not big on pointy, but that particular body shape always looked friggin awesome to me.

Bass V likes this.
  10. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    i would jump on that in a hot minute at that price...I have the same bass in both a 4 and 5 string model...

Bass V likes this.
  11. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

Sounds like you could buy it and flip it if nothing is broken. Add strings and you are all in for 180 at most.
    Don't dig it?
    flip it!

Nephilymbass and Bass V like this.
  12. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    That's a relative steal for $150. Buy it up already! LTD instruments are incredibly well built, not just for the metal kids. :thumbsup:

They are 35" scale, if you pick a proper low B string and set it up proper, it will be a great low B.

Bass V likes this.
  13. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    luv'n the encouragement! this is one of those anomalies where hideous is attractive, this type normally isn't my thing either but somehow it works really well. and it'll be my first neck thru which has me extra stoked, but getting nervous about no reply from the seller yet, it may be another case of irresponsible sellers leaving their ads up post sales. damn, it hurts to even think that...

from the clips I've heard I can't imagine not digging this, I'm really itching to check it out asap. nor am I into selling items I buy, and this has (possibly) sat on the market for too long at $150 to encourage resale hopes locally, but most up for sale are over $500 on the net and my fave guitar store would probably cough up $300 for it. funny how I gravitate to fantastic guitars which are mega bargains yet so often go ignored. if this actually comes thru I'll feel v fortunate, that ol' gut instinct has me sweating bullets right now!

14. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Very nice. Count me in as a fan!

/\/\3phist0, Nephilymbass and Bass V like this.
  15. Appreciate it

wvbass likes this.
  16. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    I own the F-4e (sorry not the 5) and have had it now for about 7 years I think. It is a very nice bass. Well balanced, comfortable to play, slim neck and just flat out gorgeous. I always get compliments when I play it out. I say buy it and if for some reason you don't like how it sounds, switch out the pickups and/or preamp and you'll have a quality bass at a fraction of the price. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Bass V likes this.
  17. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    That's a three-string.

Well, somebody had to say it...

ChillyWilly and Bass V like this.
  18. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    and the GREAT news is the seller finally replied and this will be in my hands next week!

19. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    darn, more bad news, just added to the haul a super clean Acoustic B100 MKII 1x15'' @ $100

upload_2017-9-16_22-12-20.

Stever25 and el_Bajo_Verde like this.
  20. Big_Bottom-Bass

Big_Bottom-Bass

Jun 3, 2016
    How is the bass working out for you? I have this same one, bought it new last year and love it. Great feel, comfortable to play, worth the cost for sure.