1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ESP LTD F104 Bass worth it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Demon, Apr 22, 2006.

1. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    I got a Squier affinity P bass for my first, but i really want a darker/deeper tone, and so i wonder, is a ESP LTD f104 worth it for 340 euros? Thing is, basses are very expensive in Sweden, and a better (F255) for example would cost 900 euros, reason ican get a f104 for 340 is cos Thomann.de has them cheaper (order from germany) but they dont have anything higher than the 104, so is it worth getting a f104? Or should i wait and save up for long time and get a F255 instead? Maybe someone have a link to a site that has em cheap and ships to Sweden? Im still kinda new, when i got enough cash for a F104 ill have played for like 8 months only, so maybei dont need anything better than the f104 yet?

2. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Anyone? Also do they work well with fingerstyle?

3. bassksun

bassksun

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    No. The 104 EMG pups will not help you. I'm still trying to sell my 104. :scowl: IMHO go for a JBass. If your euros are low...get an SX from one of the european distributors.

Peace

4. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Run away from all LTD and ESP basses, IMHO.

My first bass was an ESP LTD Viper-104. Horrible.

5. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Ok, what music you play? I hear different comments, some say theyr GREAT and really worth it while some say LTDs suck etc, so its hard=/ Also, i heard it needs battery or something, whats all that about? And no i dont want a jazz;) I play metal,and yeh i know that works with metal but i prefer not to go w a jazzbass;D Also, thing is i hate those boring models fenders,ibanez etc has, (Warwick has some cool ones but damn they cost).

6. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I own two LTD basses and I love them both. For the money, I didn't find anything better than my C-304, when I was in the market for a new bass. I also have a B-50 that I love. There really isn't any advice anyone can give you that would be anywhere near the usefulness of making your own opinion after playing a few. What I've found out out about ESP LTD, is that, although they are favored by many metal players, they also do many other styles very well. With my C-304, I know I can take one bass to any session, and be pleased with my tone. Metal, jazz, funk, classic rock, blues and R and B are all handled well with that bass. If it is an option, I would definitely try to save a little more money and hold out for a higher end model, though. While I love my B-50, it really isn't anywhere near as nice as the C-304. You get what you pay for. IMO, the 254/255 series is absolutely worth the extra cash, as compared to the 100 series. Good luck with whatever you decide.

7. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Yeh, it all depends, if i do find a reliable webshop in europe that ships to sweden im getting a 254, definatly, just that, they cost so damn much in sweden. a 254 is 900euro and the ESP site says Recomended retail price or something is 750 bucks wich is like 600 euro:/ Ive also been checking into the Warwicks, but damn lol, they cos alot, and also, im still pretty new to the bass:p So i doubt a high end bass is really neccesary right now, but yeh, iwudnt consider the 254 HIGH end rather mid^^

8. jbasso

jbasso

Mar 1, 2006
    Hugo, MN
    Didnt you just buy a bass?

I could have sworn it was you making a million threads about warlock basses and stuff, and then finally saying you were getting a P bass

Anyways, I would steer clear, and go with an SRX model from Ibanez if you want Rock tone. The SRX line's pups really cut through, very powerful sound. I suggest the srx700 or 500, they can be purchased very cheap. Great quality, great price, great sound for what you need.

9. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I play metal with a PJ :ninja:

10. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Jbasso, nah, i did get my p bass, and im not getting a new till christmas probably, ill have toget a better amp first:)Reason why im looking for a new bass is cos im not happy with the tone, i want something a bit darker/deeper, ive recently changed style in music a bit, from RHCP, IM, Judas priest, faith no more to more heavier metal, so now its more like Iron Maiden, Children of Bodom, In Flames, Slayer, and some judas priest and avenged sevenfold. But ill see ifi can get my hands on a 254 instead. Also i saw theres a sig bass, TA200 i think, is it good?

11. jbasso

jbasso

Mar 1, 2006
    Hugo, MN
    The SRX series will more than likely be better than anything you will get in that price range for what you need...

You should be able to get a more "metal" tone with help from the EQ, I have never had much experience with a squire P though...

Distortion pedal?

12. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Anyway, i decided for a LTD F, now the thing, is im not really sure to give a shot on 5 string or go 4 string:/ Can anyone tell me some pros and cons etc with each?

13. i say if you get an LTD get a b series, F's are ugly as sin. but i'm not into that gothy metal stuff, either. dont F's have basswood bodies too? try and steer clear of those

14. p-funk uses the esp b series
    and if its good enough for p-funk, its good enough for you.

15. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Nah, ive made up my mind=P, But, ty for help all, but anyway, can anyone help on 4 string vs 5string? Also, would the 5th string be there to make a heavier sound or a brighter? Cos if its to make the possibility of brighter sounds im def going 4str

16. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Anyone?

17. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Can anyone help 4 string vs 5 string and are Warwicks/Rockbass good for metal?

18. jbasso

jbasso

Mar 1, 2006
    Hugo, MN
    Have some patience man...

The choice of range is YOUR DECISION. We cannot make that decision for you, it is all preference. Do you think you will get ample use out of the extra string? Then get the 5...

Warwicks are great for metal, they have some major "growl"

Much better choice than any ESP

19. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Okay, ill check on the warlocks then:) Are they good for both picking and finger? Also should i save for a real warwick, or is a rockbass ok?

20. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    IMO, B.C. Rich basses are absolute crap. I was never impressed with Rockbass, either. For that matter, I think Warwicks are over rated, too. They're great if you want to sound like you're playing a Warwick. They seem to have a certain tone that you just can't get away from. Anyway, IMO, the ESP LTD you are considering will be more versatile and better playing compared to a Rockbass or B.C. Rich. As far as the 4 or 5 string issue goes, you have to ask yourself if an etra string is something you will actually use. Personally, I prefer the feel and simplicity of four. Good luck with whatever you decide.

P.S. I apologize if this post sounds harsh. I just really never liked B.C. Rich or Warwick instruments.