1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ESP LTD F255

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by raziel4635, Feb 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. raziel4635

raziel4635

Feb 15, 2018
    While browsing a local store I came across this bass

ESP F-255 LTD Guitar

its the exact same model I'm linking
    esp ltd f255
    5 strings
    passive emg with active eq
    neck though
    blue colour

the guy at the store is giving it for 270 euros!

the only downside is that he's had it on the shelf for a very long time.
    he said he ordered it for someone else but then the other guy never came to get it so its been sitting in his store for many years...he didn't want to say how long but it seems like they stopped making them around 2010 or so?

I got to tune it and play it a bit on a guitar amp and it sounded quite good.
    light and quite comfortable to play,also the eq is amazing as I could manage to get a very broad range of sounds

it had 1 small scratch on the body but it was so small that I had to check it twice to find it.
    I'm mostly worried about the condition of the wood itself and if the fretboard is bent or whatever due to the fact that its been sitting there for a lot of time completely out of tune.

I decided not to buy it at the time because my band isn't actively doing gigs at the moment and I had made a pact with myself not to get a 5 string until I can raise enough money exclusively from gigging to get one.

that and my yamaha 4 string has gotten praises from sound guys that it has a "correct" sound from a few small gigs we've done.

yesterday I was practicing a band song and I noticed that I needed the low D so I had to tune to drop D and realized "oh I wouldn't be doing this with a 5 string"....and that got me thinking again -.-

I was planning to get an ibanez GSR205 or the ibanez SR305 in the future which cost more and have worse electronics and then this esp deal drops on me.

what do you guys think?
    should I jump on the dated esp f255 or get enough money to get one of the new ibanez?

wow this post has gotten a lot bigger than I had anticipated,thanks for making it till the end :)

2. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I wouldn't say it's dated - they're still making the body shape design to this day.
    ESP LTD basses are very good quality - necks are stable so I wouldn't worry how long it's been sitting there, it's a five piece neck for one - I've bought basses that have been sitting around much longer than that. However, that being said, you should always check the neck on any bass you buy in particular, those that are used to make sure everything is in order and frets aren't worn, neck's not twisted and truss rod can still be adjusted etc. Most basses will need a truss rod tweak if they've been sitting around for some time, so it may be bowed but that can usually be adjusted as long as the truss rod is in working order. I recently bought a bass with a neck so bowed it was almost laughable - the store was selling it inexpensively and I don't know how long it's been there, but after adjusting the truss rod, I've got it straight and in great working order with very low string action.
    Another important thing to point out with the bass is that it's got a 35 inch scale neck as opposed to the 34 inch scale on either of the Ibanez basses you mentioned, so the low B string isn't going to be as "floppy" but far more playable. That's an important thing to keep in mind with 5 or 6 string basses.
    As you've already mentioned, the quality of the bass is going to be superior to those too in terms of electronics and output - I love Ibanez basses mind you, but I also have an ESP LTD Stream 204 bass which I absolutely love. The neck and overall build are solid.
    If it's been sitting on the shelf for some time, unbought, it might be worth trying to get it for even less. :)
    As it is, it sounds like a great deal.

3. CAnderson

CAnderson

Oct 20, 2018
    I sold mine years ago and to this day haven’t been able to find one of the gunmetal blue 5 strings ever again. It’s seriously a great bass for the $$