1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ESP LTD Frank Bello FB-204?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RealBK, Feb 12, 2013.

1. RealBK

RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    Anyone played one? Know price and when they will be on sale in Europe? Look real nice!!

2. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    looks like they start right around $399.99

3. rolandesque

rolandesque

Jun 1, 2013
    Brooklyn NY
    Just bought one of these from Sam Ash. Amazing for $399! Great tonal variety, fantastic playability. Actually outperformed every bass I played in there from a tone and playability standpoint all the way up to the $799-$899 price range. I may switch out the stock pickups for emg's, as the low mids are a little weak when tone knob is turned down-but that is literally my only complaint. I play in a Faith No More tribute band, this bass is kick ass for agressive rock/metal tones and slap. It has a very modern sound, prob not the best for classic rock-ish tones. Satin finish and black hardware look great, feels like a fender Jazz with all the versatility of modern active PJ pickup config.

4. I wonder if they'll do this model up with A REAL ESP LOGO on the headstock? IMO, I sincerely think the LTD line has put the real ESP line in bad shape. In the US, the real ESP has one pickup in the grave, and the other in a puddle of Fast-Fret.

5. RealBK

RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    Whats the neck like? Is the radius quite flat? More jazz like? I never liked the neck on the bello fender bass so hope it's not too close to that.

6. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Reviving this thread
    Wife just ordered me one (ltd fb204)
    Looking forward to it & will review in a few weeks
    AND.....I'm not afraid of basswood

tastybasslines likes this.
  7. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Nice. Ernie Ball makes the Bongo's from basswood. Supposedly its soft and dings easily but I don't really care that much anymore.

I love the neck on my LTD, feels great.

bazzanderson likes this.
  8. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Got it. Set it up (2hrs) & it plays very smooth. Shimmed the neck, low-ish action. Very surprised with the quality.....my only complaint is the tuners are typical low quality, hard to turn, Asian market tuners. Bass isn't light but not heavy.... I'd estimate about 9lbs. Neck is fast, p bass nut width & a little chunky but easy to pull off some riffs. Very "active" sounding, crisp highs. Scooped a little in the mids. First gig with it tonigh.....I'll report back.

9. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Great gig with it. Once these are set up properly the neck (while chunky) is fast. I was pulling off transitional runs & fast walking (ska-ish band) with ease. Being active & only having one tone control is weird, cutting tone not only cuts treble but cuts volume as well. Due to this I ran the tone wide open & 50/50 split between pickups & adjusted all tone thru the 1001rb. Very punchy & typical pj tone but with slightly scooped character. I'm totally digging it punk/rock/ska fingerstyle.

wintremute likes this.
  10. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Update....replaced all hardware with chrome. Dropped PJX EMGS in it. WOW.....a good sounding bass is now a great sounding bass. Those PJX pickups are incredible