1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Esp LTD vintage 204 neck. More of a jazz or p neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by descendent22, Jul 21, 2017.

1. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    i'm currently thinking about buying one of the ESP vintage 204 basses. my issue is that I would be buying this bass blindly. I've never played one and I would be making my decision off of description. Here's where I'm at...I love p basses and would like to stick to the p bass style. I prefer jazz necks as I put jazz necks on all my precision basses. Lately I'm looking for a more comfortable neck but I noticed that the neck on this bass is a 42 mm nut compared to a jazz neck at 38mm. It says it's a slim U profile. Is the neck on an esp more like a precision neck or with the slim profile is it more like a jazz? I have very average size fingers and I wanna play comfortable. This is really gunna help my decision on wether I buy it or not.

2. Sub-hoo-fer

Sub-hoo-fer

Nov 27, 2015
    Virginia

A little late to this party but I just tried a used 204 at my local GC. I was looking around to see what others have to say and found this post.

Let me answer you question right up front. I would say the neck favors a P more than a jazz. Fretwork was good. But it is a bit on the chunkier side.

This is the second one I have had my paws on and my impression was the same. On the plus side the Pups are very nice. They stack up nicely against others in this price range.

My issues is that both necks were sticky. Not in a tacky paint kind of way, but full on toddler on Halloween sticky. I was instantly turned off and moved on. It was probably just poor maintenance on used gear and I have played other LTDs models that were not sticky. But those models had a different finish. I just wonder if there is something about those necks that grabs dirt and sweat over time.

3. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    Certainly closer to a P. Great neck on the one I had. Sold to a good friend who is a stellar guitarist. He loves the bass. I get first option to buy back if he ever sells. They are killer budget basses. I found it to be quite comfy, but was bigger than a jazz neck.

Bass V likes this.