Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by blaw, Oct 16, 2000.

1. blaw

Oct 16, 2000

I really need all you friendly people out their to help me make a tough decision for me....

i am going to buy a new 5 string bass...and here are my choices:

1. ESP F205
    2. IBANEZ 305DX

personally, i love the ESP F205, but the price is a litte bit higher (that means, i have to cut out food pictures from magazine and eat them for lunch....)

so, PLEASE... help me out..

2. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    IF you want a nice tight B string, and you want a Ibanez, save up money for the Ibanez BTB series. I Tried a 5 string BTB at GC. They have one of the tightest B string I've ever tried and it sounds nice. Try to find a nice used IBanez BTB 5 String. Other than that, i can't really decide since i never really tried those basses out. But don't ever get low end Ibanezs, they are cheap as hell. ESP, hmm I Guess it depends on what type of music you are playing. People say ESP is for more rock/heavy metal type of sound. So everything depends on what music you play also. But its all up to you my friend, pick the bass you want. :)

Good Luck on your next bass

3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
  4. go for the yamaha, i have the 4 string version and it sounds and plays sweet. great deal for the price too. as for the others, esp arent bad, but are geared more for metal than anything else. i would definitely go for the yamaha
  5. I have an Yamaha BBG5 and it rocks!! I love that bass! ime it has worked great for slapping, fingerplaying, very nice harmonics and practicly everything... and the B string sounds pretty nice too.. so imo you should go for it!! :)

but I have no experience of the other you mentioned so they might be better for all I know.. :)
  6. thayer182

Oct 1, 2000
    well I like ibanez, but their 5 strings are a lil bit too high for me. but the esp 5 strings seem to be really good basses for a lil less. so the next bass I buy will definately be an ESP 5 string. but like ifabara said, the tobias basses are really good. u might want to check them out. and as far as yamaha, I've played on one of my friends, and that thing is WAY too heavy! I don't know if it's that way for all yamahas but I just couldn't stand playing on that thing! when I got back to my ibanez I felt a world better.
  7. Wes I AM

Wes I AM

May 27, 2000
    Tampa, FL
    I play an ESP B305 (like the one from Kittie) and it is pretty good. I honestly cant say how good because i tune down a whole step and my little Fender frontman-B cant handle it very well. I dont really like the pointed head though. Personally I want to get a good Ibanez SDGR-5 but without money you cant do much. Most people here will tell you how the low-end Ibanez basses suck and that is pretty true. But IMHO their higher end SDGRs are totally badass. I love the way they look (so small and light) not to mention they sound great. Obviously I play hip-hop grooves and metal so the ESP and the higher end SDGRs are great! hope that kinda helps.

PS. i need money. thank you.
  8. why do you think I´ve got an yamaha?? :eek: don´t you know that when a bass gets heavier it gets better? :rolleyes: :)

but I just remembered one thing about my BBG5... the screws are kinda crappy (at least on my bass).. I´ve had to change both strap button screws... but now it´s no problem :)

anyway, I still think the yamaha is a good chose...
  9. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    If you really like the ESP, then thats the one you should get, I know ya dont want to eat the pages from magazines, so just keep saving untill you have enough for it. The Yamaha in my opinion would be the better of the 3 of your choices, its a bit heavier, hence greater sustain and a bit more of a beefy bottom end, I also think the construction and quaility would be better than the ESP and definatly the Ibanez. I dont see too many people professional or amature playing the ESP's and Ibanez's I do see more of them using Yamaha's though. Just out of curiosity have you considered Fender?
  10. blaw

Oct 16, 2000

Yesterday, i went to check out the Yamaha bass again (it's a 4 string... hmm), and the color is nice; pearl white with gold hardware (i wish they were silver...). however, i saw a Spector NS2002B at the corner (a 4 string again, and the color is metallic blue !!).... damn, i played both (oh, and the Ibanez too). I think i found the right bass for me... the Spector !! I don't care if it's made in China... i think it blows the Ibanez away....!!

But, i really want a 5 string.. hmmm.. damn
  11. blaw

Oct 16, 2000
    OH well, i have a Fender Strat already, and i don't want to have an ALL FENDER Collection..haha.. i need something different...
  12. scatcat666

Sep 17, 2000
    The Yamaha would be decent, I would never play and Ibanez if I had a choice. But I own an ESP F-204, just like the F-205 but it is a four-string. It has a great sound, especially for metal.

Plus it looks really cool.
  13. blaw

Oct 16, 2000
    YEAH, i agree with you. The look of this bass is a killer. You can say i am stupid or something, but the look is everything to me. I rather have a bass with a killer look than a good tone. To me, a bass is like a girl, if she is ugly, how can i..... , rigth ?
  14. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Tsk, tsk... well, I can't say you're stupid, but vain... :rolleyes: To me, the look comes third after sound and feel. You really don't hear that a bass LOOKS good when recording... right?
    Of course, the best thing would be if a bass played, sounded AND looked great, but then you have to spend a fair amount of cash. (Mmmmm... Ken Lawrence... how much...? ...d'oh! ;))
  15. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000

For Shame, The 1st thing that should matter is the sound! Id much rather people say "man that bass player sounded hot" rather than "man that guy sucked but had a really nice looking bass" Music is about sound not looks, I wont say your stupid either, but that you have your priorities in the wrong order when looking for a bass.