Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ESP or Ibanez???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deathbloomslife, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Instead of "going for the gusto" and buying something high-end like a Warwick or Music Man Sterling, I've decided to purchase something in the 500s to hold me off for a while, and devote the rest of my money to my first every custom bass (well, modified bass for that too) from Warmoth.

I'm just a little stuck in between a few models right now. They are in no particular order;
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Ibanez SR500- ($525) Mahogany body, 5 piece wenge/bubinga neck w/rosewood fingerboard. Bartolini MK1-4 neck & bridge p'ups. Bartolini MK1 3-band pre.
    ----------------
    Ibanez BTB400QM- ($525) Basswood body w/ quilted top, 5 piece maple/walnut neck w/ rosewood fingerboard, Ibanez Dynamic Full Range neck & brdige p'ups, Vari-Mid 3-band pre,
    ----------------
    ESP B404- ($700) Mahogany w/ quilt maple top, neck-through 5 piece maple/walnut neck w/ rosewood fingerboard, EMG DC-35 P4 active pickups, EMG B64 active EQ
    ----------------
    ESP B-2005- ($700) Mahogany body, neck-through 5 piece maple/walnut w/ ebony fingerboard, EMG DC-35 active pickups.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    I know that the ESP's are a little "overpriced" than the Ibanez, but I've never heard anything but praise come about ESP models of this range, so I'm willing to spend a bit more buck for the added bang.

~Ryan

2. Ibanez are better than ESP imho

you might want to look at the SRX series of ibanez basses aswell, they are better that SR's i think, the BTB400QM should be pretty tasty, ive got the 6 string version and love it to bits

what kind of music do you play and want to use the basses for ?

3. fozzy

fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    ----------------
    Ibanez BTB400QM- ($525) Basswood body w/ quilted top, 5 piece maple/walnut neck w/ rosewood fingerboard, Ibanez Dynamic Full Range neck & brdige p'ups, Vari-Mid 3-band pre,
    ----------------

+1 for this one...

4. I completely forgot to post that information!!

The type/style of music I play right now is heavy rockand hard rock,mostly fingerstyle with little slapping. Slapping isn't a big part of my playing though, and I would rather have an awesome bass that sucks with slap, than a mediocre bass that's very good at slap. (Tone-wise and Ease is what I mean by "good-at")

I mostly enjoy playing SOAD, Staind, KoRn, Limp Bizkit, Godsmack, Sevendust, Soil, Seether,etc, etc...

I was actually soncidering a SRX500, but I'm not sure it that one is better for me than the SRX700 which is up there with the ESPs I listed.

As of right now, the SR500 is in the lead b/c of the Bartolini elctronics(*drool*) followed by the ESP B-2005.

I'm starting to re-consider my thoughts on ESP basses, and thinking of getting the 254 sereis, but they're agathis as opposed to the mahogany 404 series. Which, give up a little in low-end, but the pricemay justify it.

I showed my girlfriend the B-50 and the B-154 ESP basses (lowest end ESPs) and she likes them both alot! Anyone haveany discrepencies with these??? please tell me that they are better than the lowerend Ibanez!!! If we do end up getting her one of them, we'll swap out for EMG electronics to replace the stock ESP.

Still deciding... May have to take a trip to Sam Ash to help,
    ~Ryan

5. I've got an ESP LTD B-404 (cherry) on order. The ESP LTD F-254 I tried was really nice and I expect the B-404 to be even better. I also bet that both those Ibanez's would be sweet. All good options IMO.

6. Oliver

Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    after owning 2 of each, i choose Ibanez

but thats just me

new Sr's and all Btb's are excellent basses

7. I've had my BTB300 for about 1 1/2 years now and couldn't be happier. I got it new for $400.

8. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    IME, higher end ESP's are better than any Ibanez in all aspects. Every ESP I have played has been exceptionally colorful tonewise and playability is top notch. Ultimately the choice is yours, but ESP gets my dollars.

9. Koushaku

Koushaku The artist never sleeps, only dreams

Mar 10, 2005
    Albany, NY
    ESP owns Ibanez when it comes to low end basses. I have a B-105 (not in production anymore) it cost around $70 more than the GSR, but it plays just so much better (I borrowed a GSR from a friend for a couple weeks, and like the time I spent on it, it was just WEAK).

That being said, I "upgraded" to an SRX505, mostly because I liked the way it looks and it has active pickups. I love my srx, but my opinion isn't very high when it comes to Ibanez, just because I've played a number of their other basses and guitars and was unimpressed. But ESP has never let me down, I've played a couple of their basses, and a couple different model guitars, and they've always seemed well worth their price.

I'd say, ESP much better than Ibanez in the low end market. You can still have success with Ibanez in the mid to higher end, but I trust ESP much more. I guess, like everyone says, you'd have to give them a try if you demo them.

I don't know why, but I liked the ESP better for slapping than the Ibanez, but that's probably just a personal taste or something to do with the pickups. The Ibanez has more bite, but the ESP holds up well too. Both do well for for fingerstyle which is my main technique. I've used both for playing in my altternative metal band and they both seem good. In my case, the ESP was cheaper, too.

Hope that offers some useful opinions.

10. jimmyb

jimmyb An Avid Indoorsman Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Elkton, MD
    B - T - B !!!

11. Oliver

Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    I hear ya Jimmy, my next one will be a BTB

12. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I've never liked Ibanez. Even the best of them feel generic to me. They're OK, but nothing special. My ESP just feels right, way better than anything else I've played in that price range.

It still comes down to what you like best though. Try a few and see.