Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ESP RD bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jnightmare, Oct 16, 2005.

1. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    has anyone heard of this bass or have any info. on it? i beleive that its the bass used by the bassist of dir en grey (a japanese rock band). well at least thats what i read on a site, i swear i saw it on esp japan's site once but it seems to have disappeared on me. nontheless i can't even find a bass on that site that resembles his.

any who does anyone know anything about this bass? i know its probably a slim chance someone may know but i hoping.

2. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    oh yeah, i'll post a picture of it up later tonight so everyone will know what it looks like. maybe that'll help duh me!

3. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Was it a Japanese production bass, or a custom? If I'm not mistaken, ESP's custom shop is in Japan. I am curious to see what this one looks like though, I am a huge fan of ESP's. They have the best bang for the buck to be had anywhere, IMO.

4. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    That's a sweet axe. Thanks for the links.

5. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
  6. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    I like the large Playboy bunny g**tar.

7. Eisenmann

Eisenmann

May 12, 2004
    that sex george signature bass is quite "arty" too :D

8. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    So where can somebody in the states get ESP Japan basses? Cause, damn, some of those are awesome.

9. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Indeed it is. ;)

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Sweet axe.

11. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    C'moooon, anybody know? ESP says officially that you can't get em in the states, but surely there's a Japanese retailer on the net that'll ship here...?

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Hmm... A copy of the Gibson RD. Never thought that I would see that. But, given the amount of MTV exposure that the RD has gotten in the past 15 years, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

But without the Moog preamp, and the set neck construction, it won't get the authentic RD Artist tone. Best bass that Gibson ever made, and one of the best rock tones ever IMO. :bassist:

Here is the real deal. I still GAS for one of these occasionally, in this color.

[​IMG]

A better pic of a sunburst.

[​IMG]

13. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    yeah im on the hunt. i've been listening to a lot of japanese rock bands and i've notcied some pretty sweet looking and sounding esp basses. and i just think to myself damn why don't they sell these in the states all i see are the funky like metal looking basses (no offense to anyone but its just not my thing). i like some of the jazz basses i've seen too. but yeah if i find any info. on a retailer that sales to the states ill be sure to post it up.

oh yeah and thanks for the link on the ESP RD bass.

14. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    good news guys a think i found a place that sells esp to america. well i was looking at the esp japan site and i found that isibashi music is an esp dealer. now if you go to there site though they don't at all have any esp basses on there. but i remember when communicating through e-mail from a rep. at isibashi, or maybe i saw it on there site, anywho i was told that if theres anything your interested in thats not on there site you can e-mail them and they can see if they can get it in for you.

with that being said i e-mailed ishibashi about the esp RD bass to find a price. theres good news, they we'll start carry the esp RD bass in november or december. the only thing is that they don't know the price of the bass yet. hopefully its not to expensive, because i would really like to buy it but from what i've seen on a few esp japan basses is that there over 200,000 yen which makes them like what roughly $1600 US minimum.

so anyone else interested in buying a esp japan bass just e-mail ishibashi with the model your interested in and they'll get back to you.

15. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Good news, thanks, Jnightmare! According to the ESP japan site, the bass I'm interested is around 500USD, so hopefully it won't be too bad with all the shipping and whatever import taxes may apply.

16. Cool man. Let us know if you're able to get your hands on an RD bass. Ishibashi is great to deal with. Koichi (sp?) helped me find replacement parts for an Ibanez jazz box. He had the parts to the U.S. in under a week.

17. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    penny it shouldn't be to bad i know when ishibashi gave me a quote on a fender jazz they said shipping was 14,000 yen which is roughly $121 US at the current exchange rate. im going to assume its the same for anywhere in the US. its also shipped through EMS and is fully insured from what im told by ishibashi.

18. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Yeah Koichi helped me too. An amazingly helpful guy. I got my bass in 3 days, that really blew my mind.

19. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Neat, thanks. :hyper:

Er...too bad I'm completely broke...

6-3-2- that's really cool.