ESP Vintage 4 vs Fender American Standard?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brockkiemel, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Curious how these basses compare? I've currently got a Fender American Standard P bass (2013) on layaway... But want to make sure I'm getting the best option as used prices are roughly the same. ($900) If it helps I play mainly heavy rock and roll / punk rock.

2. nilpla

nilpla Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2013
    Norway
    The ESP is more versatile, and probably better built. I have both and if I had to choose, I would have stayed with the ESP.

3. Im with ESP also. I was endorsed by ESP some years ago and even tho my endorse is over (I wanted to play whatever bass I felt like), I still seem to grab my Vintage 4 and Amaze 5 to gigs alot! The quality and attention to detail is amazing. Also I really like Seymour Duncan pickups. I would pick ESP over am Fender anyday!

4. NeonVomit

NeonVomit

Jan 29, 2013
    Cyprus
    ESP for sure.

5. In Australia, the ESPs are fair bit more expensive. I think they are better quality than a Standard but are priced closer to a Deluxe here is which case I'd take a Deluxe.

6. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    The best J bass I ever played is an ESP, they know how to make the perfect J bass.

7. Not to take anything from an American Standard P , but I have 3 ESP Vintage 4 s and of my 10 basses ( others are 2 Fretless jazz , jazz deluxe , 50 's p , EBO and Rivoli ) these are my most played .

My most recent bass is the unlined ESP 214 Fretless and my next will be an ESP Vintage 4 in white to complete the set . ( the others are sunburst , black and CAR ).

I can 't endorse these basses any higher- love 'em. Great value on the used market.

8. Thanks for the info. I went ahead and stuck with the Fender as I had played it before but am seriously considering selling my Fender Japan 66 Reissue jazz to buy a used Vintage 4.

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  9. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    my only issue with the esp would be if you need to get rid of it in a pinch and you can only get 25% of what you paid for it, otherwise esp, because it's versatile, playable, and well crafted

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  10. phishaholik

phishaholik Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    I've had both. The ESP is definitely a much better built instrument. My Vintage 4 was just as high quality as my Sadowsky Metro, other than the fact I couldn't get the action slammed without a shim. I miss the ESP and wish I still had. Fantastic basses!

Michael

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  11. Neveragain55

Neveragain55

Mar 19, 2014
    Connecticut
    ESP everyday, and five times on Sunday....... SERIOUSLY!!!!!!

ESP's are extremely underated and don't get a fraction of the credit they deserve.

Fender makes a great bass and always has..........but.......... (well I'll just leave it there)

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021