1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ESP Vintage 4 vs Lakland Vintage Skyline(was Joe Osbourne Series)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassmastan, Jan 11, 2012.

1. bassmastan

bassmastan Guest

Jun 25, 2011
    Which is more versitile? Which set up(p/j or s/s) is better for someone playing a lot, and many different styles of music? Which asthetically looks better? I have played both, while I've never picked up a bad ESP Vintage 4, I have gotten a skyline I didn't love.

2. bassmastan

bassmastan Guest

Jun 25, 2011
    Anyone?

3. That is a tough call. I am not a fan of the P/J setup. I prefer a straight P or a standard jazz layout. Quality wise they are both really nice basses. Have you played either of them?

4. bassmastan

bassmastan Guest

Jun 25, 2011
    I've played them both, and different ones of each, not just the same ones in the music store down the block. Sound wise they're both really nice, and I know people who own one or the other and swear by it. . .

5. bassmastan

bassmastan Guest

Jun 25, 2011
    Anyone else?

6. JMimbs

JMimbs

Jan 5, 2012
    Central Florida
    Lakland gets my vote. ESP makes nice instruments, but I prefer the straightforward P bass setup.

7. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    I have two ESP vintage fours and they are some of my best sounding basses. Relicing isn't the best but it doesn't bother me. Materials and construction are on par with much higher dollar basses, so I would pick it over the Skyline.

8. bassmastan

bassmastan Guest

Jun 25, 2011
    Relicing I don't care, it doesn't have to be the best, #1 priority is that it sounds good. What kind of music are you using them for?

9. I go with ESP because I feel that a good pj can get any sound under the stars I feel that just a p isn't giving me funk and just a j isn't giving me the deep rock tone

10. And I love my ESP so yeah

11. EdwardYSC

EdwardYSC

Feb 23, 2008
    Hong Kong
    I own a Lakland 5502 as my main axe, but played ESP Vintage 4 in store. I am not a P-guy ,however the sound came from the ESP is awesome. Even sound sweater than many JJ basses. The build quality is top-notch. It is made in Japan! The relic finish is not the best compare to Fender Roadworn but still beautiful.
    So I would vote to ESP but you cant go wrong with either one.

12. ESP. I don't think the relicing is that bad either, and I'm a die in the wool Fender guy.

13. bassmastan

bassmastan Guest

Jun 25, 2011
    Awesome thanks guys! Anyone know if ESP has new basses at NAMM, just in case I should wait before I drop a grand on it.