1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ESP Vintage 4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassbmx, Mar 11, 2009.

1. I picked up this bass for NZ$1400 which is a great price here considering they go for that in the US and our dollar is worth about 50 US cents right now.

Anyway... It has the nicest feeling neck I've ever played and sounds amazing! The Seymour Quarter Pounder P and J pups are fat and clear. The Jazz pup adds a nice amount of clarity over the big round sound of the P pup.

I'll post some pics in the next couple of days. The relicing on the bass is kanda cool. A bit cheesy I guess but it looks fairly genuine.

For anyone that has the chance to check one of these out, I highly recommend doing it. I had walked past a couple of these in stores and they never really interested me but I'm very, very happy I found this one!!

I'll do my best to answer any questions you guys may have.

Joe :smug:

2. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i played on here in memphis the other day. was very very nice.

3. Greyvagabond

Greyvagabond Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I just bought one. I LOVE it. Way more vesatile than I thought!

4. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    I saw one in a VERY small mom 'n pop music store but I didnt get a chance to try it. It looked cool but there was only 1 person working in the shop and I only had a few minutes to browse so the opportunity didnt arise.

My Clement custom bass has a Duncan Quarter Pounder P and that pickup is pure thunder. I've owned relatively few basses that had P-pickups in them but this one is easily my favorite.

I have no experience with the J but I wouldnt doubt its every bit as good.

5. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    No pics... You know the rest.

6. The ESP vintage don't have the Quarter pounder (and it's a very good thing as I truly hate these pickups ;))

They use The seymour Duncan Spb-1 vintage pickups. Wich is a more logical choice for these basses.

7. Thanks for the info.

I'll get pics up in the next few days. They're not the most visually stunning basses; just clean and simple fender style instruments.

Joe

8. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Absolutely wonderful basses! I only wish they made a 5-string, 35" with EMG 40P and 40J pickups :D

9. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    what they said:)

10. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Thats not the point, my friend. ;)

11. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Actually, they use SPB-2 and SJP-2 "Hot" pickups, which are heavily overwound versions of the SPB-1 and SJB-1. The SPB-2 is a very fat, thick version of old school tone, and is probably best when paired with a bridge J as here.

I briefly checked out one of these, and I thought it was extremely cool. I'm not into the distressed finish thing, but these are well done, and very nicely built basses.

12. Haha I know. It's top of my priority list! :p