1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ESP Vintage 4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    http://www.espguitars.com/basses_vintage.html

I was checking out two new ESP Vintage 4s at my favorite shop today. These new ones are made in China, and they much cheaper than the old Japanese versions. The rosewood version was $349, and the Maple version was $399. I'm not one for reliced basses, but these ESPs flat out kill! The necks feel great, and pickups have output for days. I played some old Motown on these basses, and they sounded totally authentic. I also cranked the P/J and tone, and it delivered a grindy rock tone in spades. The one major issue was the fact that on both basses, the nut was cut too high, and it kept the action from getting as low as it could have. Consdiering that these basses are not expensive, that fix would not be bad at all (+ - $50.)

For somebody looking for a really solid P/J that is pretty well made at a great price, ESP may be just the ticket!:bassist:

2. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    They probably sound better than Fenders. ESP rules.

3. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    PA
    Thats the price Ive always seem at at.

$1400, not $400.

4. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Except the nut, they are way ahead of MIM Fender Standards, and they tonally blow Classic Vibe Squiers out the water. The fit and feel is at least at the G&L Tribute level.

5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
  6. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    LTD not ESP.

7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The ones I played today were branded ESP.

8. 5string5fingers

5string5fingers Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Tifton,Georgia
    Theres ESP and then ESP LTD which is like their squier line LTD Deluxe is like MIM for them. Made in china now I guess. My LTD B55 was made in indonesia. Either way they're more affordable esps. I always loved the look of those vintage esps glad to see they came out with a LTD version.

9. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

10. Blazeman

Blazeman

Dec 3, 2008
    Here's my vintage ESP. Made in the USA.

11. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
  12. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    I've played a creme and maple one. It was ok at best. Nothing like what Dr. Cheese has said.

13. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Nice bass, but the 400 Series was made in Japan. I don't think ESP have ever manufactured instruments in the USA, even though the HQ moved there in the 90's.

14. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Back in the 1980's, ESP was a precursor of the boutique Fender style instruments. There instruments were kind of like Lull or Lakeland back then.

15. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Probably more along the lines of Warmoth tbh. They made parts for a long time before they started shipping completed instruments. Rather than make an interpretation of the original like many boutique builders, they just made very accurate replicas to a higher standard than many of the originals before embarking on their own designs. The quality is right up there with the best, it really is. This has been my main squeeze for almost 20 years now. Many have had a shot at the title (eg Fender, Sadowsky, Lakland, Rickenbacker and many more) but the ESP has seen them all off.

[​IMG]

16. Blazeman

Blazeman

Dec 3, 2008
    The 400 series was the first production line of guitar and basses, ESP New York, New York between 1984 and 1985. My bass has New York hand written in blue ball point pen under the finish on the heel of the neck. Got it from a friend of a friend for $400. It was in pieces though, all the original parts were there. He was going to refinish it if you can believe that. I put it back together, resurfaced and re-fretted the neck, new bone nut, input jack and swapped the vintage Fender style bridge for the Gotoh. $700 total invested.

17. goodness those ones are so much cheaper..

18. ledyard

ledyard

Jan 31, 2010
    Upstate NY
    That sir, is a beauty:eek: