Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Esp with Barts or Stingray5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassman60, May 4, 2002.

1. bassman60

bassman60

Jun 5, 2001
    Hi guys, I was thinking about what I would like for my next bass and I have come to two general possibilities. I love both of these basses and I am very indecisive as to which one I want to put my money twoards. I play in a Creed, Nickel Back, Pearl Jam type rock band. I tune my bass pretty low. What would you guys recommend out of these two basses? I am gonna be playing through an ampeg 1x15 and 410 setup, with a boss bass chorus, and an ibanez phathed bass overdrive. I'm not sure what ampeg head yet. Anyways, which bass should I go with?

Stingray5
    Esp b-305 with Barts

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You tune your bass pretty low? How low? Those basses have decent B's, but if you detune them much, you will need a really large B string to keep enough tension.

3. Go for the Stingray 5 if you can. A nice B string and more bass for your buck.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'd say for lowered tunings, the Ray, because you'll need the punch/cut those things have if you detune. Not that it's dead nessicary, but I'd highly suspect that would aid you a good deal.

I myself Tune ADGCF, and GCGC, and find that to avoid mud, a crisper sound is needed, IE 'Ray. A lot of rock player use the EB's anyway, and they can't ALL be doofs.

5. bassman60

bassman60

Jun 5, 2001
    I tune as follows: Aflat, Dflat, Aflat, Dflat, G flat. I know that sounds a little unusual but i have tried several different tunings and this is what works best for what we're doing. My guitar players both play 6 strings, tuned a half step down and then in drop D. I like having the extra low notes of the B tuned down so low. Is this common though? I mean do most people tune there B down that low when using drop D? Just wondering. Thanks.

ps-
    The main thing I like about the ESP bass is that it strings through the body which will help with string tension plus it is a 35 inch scale. The stingray is not, so this is what makes my decision difficult.

thanks guys, and peace,

Josh

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Thats pretty low. I tune GCGC and ADGCF myself. Whatever you do is your buisness, though for something like that, I'd just stick with the bottom 4 strings dropped, and leave the B out of it. It's awfully murky down around A. I myself only use the G(CGC) as an effect, an occasional thump. But if you use the Ab as lot, I'd say make sure you have at least a .135, otherwise tension is shot. I'd recomend a .145. I'd still take the Ray, but that's me...a good bass will have an excellent B string, regardless of scale length. Pedulla, StingRay, Warwicks ect. are proof of this.