1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Esperanza Spalding Bass Holster/Clip-on Belt

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by onekruss, Jul 23, 2017.

1. onekruss

onekruss

Oct 25, 2012
    Does anyone know what type of holster-belt Esperanza Spalding was using on her D+Evolution tour? YOu can see some pics of it here. I saw here in a darker colored costume and a similar colored belt than this white one. Also, what kind of axe is she playing? You can see pics here. Esperanza Spalding presents: Emily’s D+Evolution!

2. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Copy and pasted from Premeireguitar:

The bass is a South Paw, created by NYC luthier Simon Propert, and it’s one of a kind.

“Each bass is custom and a little different, so there is no model name,” Propert shared. “They’re all the same basic shape, but each one evolves into something different.”

Esperanza’s bass is centered around a maple body with off-center maple and ebony strips that complement its jet black ebony fingerboard and maple neck. The pickup is a Bartolini Stingray Five that’s wired to a three way switch that toggles between the coils. It has three modes: series double coil, parallel double coil, and single coil, which utilizes only the neck coil.

As for the holster, I'm not sure. If you zoom into the pictures it appears to be a strip of metal attached to the back of the bass with a groove machined into it that slips over the piece of metal attached to her belt. Very slick, but I'm afraid I don't have the hips to pull off something like that.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    Gaolee and MobileHolmes like this.
  3. dtripoli

dtripoli

Aug 15, 2010
    CA
    I'd venture to saw both the belt and bass are custom.
    It's Esperanza so everything about her is special.

4. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    She is amazing !! Saw her live twice front row center on her first 2 tours.

5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    She's kist doing what ground breaking geniuses do.....something different.

el_Bajo_Verde and Dr. Cheese like this.
  6. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Almost looks like it's got a big magnetic latch and 4 contact points:

Esparada-Spalding-8-of-20-1024x680.jpg

The back shot shows the wireless pack stays strapped to her (one for the mic, one for the bass, I guess), so I'm guessing the bass just magnetically latches to the clip and everything connects automatically. Cool rig.

7. I had a really close look at her bass last year at the North Sea Jazz Festival. I was fortunate enough to be right at the front and centre of the auditorium and her bass was just a few feet away, directly in front of me. She had a sort of cradle, rather than a stand, that laid the bass horizontally just above the floor. I got the chance to have a good look at it as her tech was doing stuff with it.

It's not as sophisticated as a magnetically attached, auto-connecting bass. Esperanza's belt hook just bends through an S shape just above where it is riveted to the belt, so the top half of it juts forward of the belt. The bass just has a corresponding bracket screwed to the back that slips over the hook. The bass also has an ordinary wireless transmitter attached to the back of it using nothing more complex than black duck tape.

I guess the two packs that Esperanza wears are a transmitter for her radio mic and a receiver for in-ears.

CooWoo, JIO and bholder like this.
  8. B-line

B-line Inactive

Esperanza sang only in a recent tribute to Smokey Robinson in D.C.

The Creator got it right when he made her: Almost overkill: Beauty, Brains, and incredible musical chops and taste on both Upright Bass and Bass Guitar.

Jeesh.

Gaolee, Joe Ty, bluesblaster and 4 others like this.
  9. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Groove Doctor and wintremute like this.
  10. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I really like that bass. It could have looked butcher-block'ish, but instead that the wooden racing stripes look is really cool. A nice mix of classic lines and something different. Not necessarily a fan of the little nipple or tumor looking bit tacked onto the end of the headstock though.

michael-music-presents-radio-music-bowie-david_572e5240-402e-11e6-86cd-639e2418d1d4.jpg
    Found that Simon Propert is a luthier at David Gage's shop, so he's certainly got to have some skills.

11. Medicine Man

Medicine Man

Apr 10, 2015
    none
    It's tough to find a non copyrighted headstock shape. Small builders are somtimes left slapping on a headstock tumor to stay out of the courtroom.

ES is one if those rare talents who makes us all feel untalented. What a gem.

12. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    she is a terrific performer!

lowdownthump likes this.
  13. JIO

JIO shaken - not stirred Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Cool - the latest iteration of an age old design problem; a strapless harness. My friend who has a bad back played a '66 P (back then) which had a belt oriented system.

14. Inara

Inara Fierce Fun Fretless Female Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Seattle, WA USA
    FYI, if anyone is looking for something along these lines ... This is nowhere near as cool as Esperanza's system, but it does eliminate the shoulder strap.

Guitar Straps | Bass Straps | Slinger Hip Strap

Requires mounting another strap button on the lower horn, though, and I'm not sure it would put the bass in the right position vertically for me personally. They do have a "strap plus belt" system, and an "over both shoulders strap plus belt" system. I don't think either of them require the extra strap button. The latter is something I use for my heaviest bass. It's tricky to get everything adjusted, but it really works. Makes a 10 pound bass feel like a 7.5 pound bass, in my experience.

40Hz and CooWoo like this.
  15. wmhill

wmhill

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
    Years ago I knew a fellow that had taken the belt clip from a tape measure, and screwed that to the back of his Jazz bass, so it clipped onto his belt. He had a strap too, but the lions share of the weight was on his belt. He used it for years like that.
    (not that I'm suggesting adding hardware to your bass- just adding this to the conversation.)

Inara likes this.
  16. msiner

msiner

Sep 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Saw her D+Evolution tour towards the beginning and I don't think she had this setup. Must be pretty new. It was a great show and I was lucky enough to be on the center aisle in row 5.

Edit: I just looked it up and I saw her in August 2015.

17. CooWoo likes this.
  18. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    Could be handy for swapping to keys if it rotated to drop the neck out the way. Probably easier with a Steinberger, though.

19. B-line

B-line Inactive

Not sure, but I think she may be using that "attachment" process because she is part of a Production-type play of sorts it seems, acting, more movement & such.
    Every time I've seen her perform (TV, video, never live sadly!) she's been using a traditional strap-'cept for DB of course!:roflmao:

Here she is w/same bass & a nice leather strap...

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 24, 2021