1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Esperanza Spalding Will Record ‘Exposure’ in Front of the World

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by silvertone, Jul 27, 2017.

1. silvertone

silvertone

Nov 6, 2007
    SF, CA
    Esperanza Spalding Will Record ‘Exposure’ in Front of the World

"...recently Ms. Spalding, 32, has grown a little wary of her own ambitions, and for her next album, which she announced on Wednesday, she is heading straight to the creative source. Starting the morning of Sept. 12, she will spend 77 straight hours in the studio, bringing with her a few musicians but no pre-written songs. Over those roughly three days, she will write, arrange and record a full-length album, “Exposure,” while streaming the experience live to a web audience. She is aiming to finish 10 songs, most with lyrics.

“I think of it creatively as a context where you give all that’s been cooking in there permission to come out at will,” she said last week over Mexican food near her home in Brooklyn. “I thought: I just need a break from framing. I’m tired of backing everything up and explaining why this character does this and that.

If the three-day live stream sounds like a bit of a gimmick, Ms. Spalding sees it as a way to cancel out the noise of promotion and profit-chasing that often surrounds the recording process."

Oddly, Linnin, lowdownthump and 3 others like this.
  2. Pat Harris

Pat Harris Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I don't think it's a gimmick as much as it's the "new model" of promotion. Is this really much different than providing updates for supporters on a crowd funding campaign? A large number of consumers don't really want albums/CDs/downloads, they want to feel connected to artists. The music itself is a secondary byproduct to having access to the artist. We've gone from appreciating the mystery around how something was created to only being interested in something if we can get behind the scenes to watch the process unfold and to have some kind of ownership of it.

3. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    i hate this new super invasive way of musicians. tweet your life, faceboook your life, now literally live stream your whole process.

part of the magic of music is the mystery. how did it get to be that way. why did that flub stay? the bad punch, that punched in solo, etc

makes it more fun to think, analyze, listen on my own. laying everything out for everyone, meaning, style, intent, etc defeats the purpose of art being able to be intrepreted.

all IMO

4. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    On the other hand, Esperanza's record company has agreed to a 77-hour livestream from a *bassist*. What a world!

1Drop, devnulljp, RickC and 8 others like this.
  5. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    agreed? it's free, facebook live. anyone in the world can do it. they're not putting any money into it i bet except to rent the studio and pay the muscians (which they would do anyway).

6. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    Mostly tongue-in-cheek, imagining a world in which listeners will attend to a bassist for almost 80 hours (seasoned with a bit of skepticism about the quality of that attention). But also this:

John Burk, the president of Concord Records, said, “We believe in Esperanza 100 percent” and called the live-stream project “bold,” adding that the label deserves to have some role in the recording process. “We view ourselves as partners; we’ll have dialogue about things,” he said. “But it’s not our philosophy to try and force her to do things that don’t work for her creatively.”

But with “Exposure” Ms. Spalding is seeking “an environment where those factors are taken out,” she said. “I somehow convinced the label to pay for this, and I’m eternally grateful for that. And they can’t do anything about what happens, because the record is being made as we do this thing.”

Linnin likes this.
  7. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    I think this is nice if you are interested in watching. It is sometimes difficult to imagine how something that will probably take 45 mins to listen to takes 77 hours to produce. Kind of makes me think of learning to play certain difficult pieces which may take me weeks to "master," but when you watch the completed music of an artist playing it on YouTube, it takes less than 3 mins to listen to it and looks like they would have just sat down and played it with zero effort on the first go around.

8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    To the general public I think she's seen as a vocalist who also plays bass, kinda like M'shell Nedegocello (or Sting or Sir Paul). 77 hours...bathroom breaks? :roflmao:

9. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Esperanza reminds me a lot of Prince and Joni Mitchell. I like the idea and will watch and listen .

Linnin likes this.
  10. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    A stunt. Nothing more. Her "product" continues to get odder and odder...

Pat Harris and markjazzbassist like this.
  11. Joshua

Joshua WJWJr Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Connecticut
    A bold move by a true artist. I will summarize with a:

latest?cb=20140829235648.jpg

Linnin and Oddly like this.
  12. I haven't really followed her since she was on Stanley Clarke's 'the toys of men' album. Has she moved into an avante garde area?

13. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    A bassist who has a world voice, and is really pretty got this deal. Don't hold your breath for Hadrien Feraud to get this deal!

derrico1 likes this.
  14. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I think it's a great concept.
    I love watching fly-on-the-wall documentaries about musicians/bands and how they actually make their music.
    I'll be watching.

Linnin likes this.
  15. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    Why not? I hope it garners some publicity for her, and for the bass role in general.

16. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    (i would watch her do anything for more than 77 measly hours)

devnulljp likes this.
  17. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    $50 pre-order (the only way to get a copy) for an autographed; numbered limited edition CD with 'Notepaper'! What is 'Notepaper'? It is "Take a piece of the creation home. Each CD’s cover artwork is original and unique as it incorporates a piece of Esperanza’s note paper used for music and lyric composing during the recording. Included is also a bonus disc of exclusive songs written and recorded during the development process for Exposure."
    Autographed, Numbered, Limited Edition CD with Notepaper | Shop the Esperanza Spalding Official Store

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  18. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    BIG Time!

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  19. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    You most definitely hear the Joni Mitchell influence on 'One'.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  20. Pat Harris

Pat Harris Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    ^Definitely some "Court and Spark" in there... possibly a Billy Strayhorn intro as well.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021