1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Esperanza Spaulding - Emily's D+ Evolution

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Larry99, Sep 1, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Larry99

Larry99

Aug 17, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Anyone been listening to Esperanza Spaulding's latest record? I think it may be some of the best new music I've heard in 10 years. It's a bit of a departure from her previous recordings and, to my ears anyway, incorporates more of the music I love. I'm hearing a huge Joni Mitchell influence with heavier progressive rock, e.g. King Crimson? along with Stevie Wonder-esq R&B. Of course she is such a talented bassist and has an amazing voice but I find much of her earlier records a bit too smooth for my taste. There's some backbone and really creative songwriting with this record and I think it's brilliant. Of course, just my opinion but curious to know what others think...

2. jtharp

jtharp

May 25, 2008
    Berkeley, CA
    The track "Judas" stands out to me. Great lyrics and songwriting

3. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    There have been several threads about this in other sub-forums. Here's one: Esperanza Spalding: Emily's D+Evolution

Personally, I prefer most of her other work, but I always applaud taking chances and hope her next one is a bit more fully realized if she stays with this sort of tangent.

4. Larry99

Larry99

Aug 17, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Ahhh apologies, I only searched the recordings forum... thanks.

5. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    No worries, glad I could help a little.

6. Larry99

Larry99

Aug 17, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Quite an interesting thread there. Lots of opinions pro and con which I guess is expected, art being subjective and all that, but count me in the former. I'm a little late to the party but I'm smitten with this record.

kjones likes this.
  7. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Oct 20, 2009
    Madison, MS
    I've been listening to it since Dr. Cheese wrote about it. I like it a lot and appreciate that there is so much to explore on the record. I saw her at the Monterrey Jazz Festival a few years ago and she was stellar then and still is now. Great talent!

8. kjones

kjones

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    I think I listened to it about ten times in the first week I got it. The music is very deep; there's much to pay attention to.

9. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    It's one of my favorite albums from the last year, I also caught the tour, one of the best shows I've ever seen! I think Esperanza is one of the great artists out there these days.

JimK and brokenstoned like this.