Esperanza's Live facebook Feed 77

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Linnin, Sep 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    So live studio feed for 77 hours as Esperanza and her ensemble write and record an album from scratch. Nothing prepared in advance.

Wookieeboy, stigbeve and Pbassmanca like this.
  2. Skokiaan

Skokiaan

Jun 19, 2004
    New Jersey
    Here's the link. I've been watching/listening for several hours. It's fascinating to watch her work.

Esperanza Spalding

3. LadyLoveStingRay5

LadyLoveStingRay5

Jul 17, 2004
    Good stuff!!
    Been playing along with my bass!!

Linnin likes this.
  4. Joshua

Joshua WJWJr Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Connecticut
    I love what I'm hearing so far and can't wait to get my copy.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  5. WhtMtnGrv

WhtMtnGrv Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2015
    Crestline, CA
    Never heard of this group/artist but after tuning in for a few, I'm heavily considering buying the album.

BuffaloBass and lowdownthump like this.
  6. I've been just letting it run on the Smartboard in my elementary art classes. So inspiring for them to watch a true artist creating!

Wookieeboy, Burwabit, GregC and 6 others like this.
  7. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    I've been watching it quite a bit. The parts that will never make it to the recording are often incredible in their own way. And Esperanza's memory of different takes and willingness to try just about any suggestion are phenomenal.

lowdownthump and Linnin like this.
  8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I know I must have missed some good stuff, but I am going to keep an eye on this experiment.

9. Is the session finished now?

10. LadyLoveStingRay5

LadyLoveStingRay5

Jul 17, 2004
    Nope . But they do take breaks to eat and sleep etc..

11. Passinwind

Dec 3, 2003
    Nope, still around two days left. But at any given time there may be nothing happening on the feed, and the stream itself has bonked repeatedly as well.

lowdownthump likes this.
  12. Passinwind

Dec 3, 2003
    The part at around 1-2 AM their time last night was really wonderful. Mostly just Esperanza singing alt melody takes, then back filling basslines to complement the vocal keepers.

13. LadyLoveStingRay5

LadyLoveStingRay5

Jul 17, 2004
    Lalah Hathaway !! One of the best and two of my favorites together. Such pure voices the two of them have.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    Linnin likes this.
  14. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

Oh. My. God. Between Esperanza Spalding and Richard Bona, I'm not sure who is the greatest living bassist alive today.....

15. LadyLoveStingRay5

LadyLoveStingRay5

Jul 17, 2004
    Im hearing so much of that Joni Mitchell vibe in the chord progressions and her vocal arrangements . Court and Spark, Hissing of Summer Lawns, Hejira , and Don Juan's Reckless Daughter era Joni. Love it!!

16. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    I don't get the number of angry faces floating by. If you don't like it or get it don't bother to watch or comment. Also I think a lot of non-musicians were unaware of how long and tedious recording sessions can be especially with on the spot creation.

HamOnTheCob likes this.
  17. LoL her key player's name is Ray Angry. That's why all the angry emojis. ;)

18. Being in the studio is my favorite activity in the world of music, and this has been, and continues to be (for 18ish more hours) the next best thing.

I wish every artist could do this. It would be quite something. It's impossible to watch this process and not feel a part of it. As the songs come together, I feel like there's a part of me in them (obviously there's not).

What a way to get fans invested in a project and an artist! I was a casual fan of Esperanza Spalding's before this, but my connection to this project will linger forever and I will be deep into her work moving forward, and I strongly doubt I'm the only one who's been affected this way.

Artists could certainly learn something from this absolutely groundbreaking experience. I hope they do.

19. LadyLoveStingRay5

LadyLoveStingRay5

Jul 17, 2004
    I'm going to be sad to see this come to an end.
    They already sold out of the cd/ album copies .
    Esperanza should make this process into movie with a concert of live performances of this album at the end.

Wookieeboy and HamOnTheCob like this.
  20. I don't look forward to it being over either! I hope she does it again in the future. I ordered a copy of the album on vinyl just to display on my wall. Did you get a copy of the album before it sold out?