1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ESPN: The Best That Never Was

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    http://30for30.espn.com/film/the-best-that-never-was.html

Check this out if you get the chance. It is the story of Marcus Dupree, the former Oklahoma Sooner tailback. If you are old enough to remember him, it will be cool to find out what happened to him. If he was before your time, the story is a great example of how quickly life can change.

I found it to be a very uplifting story although Marcus Dupree never had the great pro career that it seems he deserved. I really enjoyed it.

It is amazing to think of what an athlete he was, 6' 3", 230 lbs;
    he ran 9:5 100m in high school, and he could bench 400 for at least 10 reps as a high school senior! I'm certain he was clean too!:eek:

2. That's almost superhuman. That is unbelievable.

3. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I made a mistake. That should have been 100 yards, not 100 meters.

4. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    Reminds me of a guy at my high-school that wasn't "big" enough to play by ncaa standards.

It was a great feature too, saw it last night while we were eating out.

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I can't wait to see this. I remember Marcus, and his career in the USFL for the Breakers.

I missed the premier last night, but I will FOR SURE watch it on Thursday.

-Mike

6. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    I read about that this morning. Kind of sad, because he was an incredible talent.

7. Anyone want to fill me in? I was most likely not alive because I don't remember him at all. Why wasn't he in the NFL?

8. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I felt the story was uplifting because he has gone on with his life. He is not an alcholic or drug addict; he holds a respectable job too. He just isn't rich and famous.

The film also shows that despite his injuries, Dupree got the most out of his ability. He even played in the NFL for the Rams for a little more than one season.

As a man about Dupree's age, I know, just like he does, that opportunities come and go. You have to make the best of where you are now.

9. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    He was best back coming out of high school in the whole USA back in 1983. He had one great season at Oklahoma, he didn't get along with Barry Switzer, and he then played a while in the USFL and later the NFL. I would argue that cases like his forced the NFL to change its eligibility rules.