Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

essental to your sound

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kitcar765, Jan 28, 2006.

1. i know its all to do with personal tastes but what do what would you consider essental to your sound? i have not realy ever used pedals so im unfamiliar with the makes and effects, can anyone tell me their "must have" effect?

also whats the best bass pedal for distortion?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Dude, read the "Bass distortion mega-thread".

As far as essential fx, I wouldn't go anywhere without a compressor, and either an auto-filter or some sort of fuzz/distortion depending on the musical genre.

3. Theonestarchild

Theonestarchild Artfully lost

Aug 23, 2005
    North Carolina
    My essential effects are a limiter/enhancer, a crybaby, and I enjoy the stuff on my amp, actually. The ultrabass is cool when you want a muddy tone for medal, and the shape filter is just plain cool.

4. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    My fingers. :smug:

5. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    Distortion and wah would be the top two I'd pick for best. Other than that, I'll go with Petary :)

-Dash

6. IcedEarthWOM

IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    Even though I like the sound of Bass -> Amp, I have to say that for my sound, all of it (except maybe the compressor) is vital:

[​IMG]

The fuzz (English Muff'n) is the only one I don't leave on all the time, though when I do use it, it's essential. Thinking about replaceing the Punch Factory with a Bass Xciter if only for the big bottom (compresses only the lower freqs) and using the PF for slight comp/as a DI. Depending on how that works out, the BX will become essential too. The PF itself is not really essential cus it's pretty transparent. The Wah adds a sort of smoothness and growl, even though the Q on it is at min.

As for the two non-FX (noise suppressor and tuner), even they are more essential than the compressor. The noise gate keeps the wah and compressor silent. Even when I get the Xciter (which I'm hoping will be quieter than the PF) I'll still need the NS for the Wah. The Muff'n is pretty silent on it's own, but in order to position the pedals on my board, it was easier to place it in the NS loop.

The tuner is essential, otherwise I'd never be in tune. I'd start to sound more and more like a guitarist :p ;)

7. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Essential are: Boss CS-3 compressor and Aphex Bass Xciter. These two are always-on.

For distortion I need my Boss ODB-3; this goes after the Aphex, which is after the compressor.

The distortion, Aphex and compressor are all in the loop of a Boss NS-2 Noise supressor - and the noise supressor is essential when I'm running my high-gain distortion sound (even when-not, it's very cool to me to have pure silence when a note isn't being played).

There's a Boss CEB-3 chorus just before the amp. Not essential, I guess.

Joe

8. essential to my sound is a blend of effects and a dry signal, and guitar effects, they sound alot better...and 70's style jazz basses:D ....my must have pedal is the boss heavy metal, my favourite distortion...little hard to find but worth it

9. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    Essential are the EBS MultiComp (Tube Mode) and the Tech21 Acoustic DI. Those are always on. VERY often I am using a touch of SABDDI overdrive to fatten things up.

10. plasson

plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    Essential to me is the EBS MultiComp.
    I'm never gonna leave it (well... instead I find something better :D)

11. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    Essential to me will be the two 'stages' of overdrive

[​IMG]

I've tried to just use bass -> compressor -> preamp -> amp, but the songs seems to loose their dynamic flow as the guitarist in my band only swears to use one single overdrive all the time (if he isn't just playing clean)

When looking for effects; look for the ones that sounds good with your band. It's unnessecary to have a mild overdrive-pedal in a metal band with 2 guitarists. That's my opinion :)

Like in other words: if the guitarist in my band used a two or maybe even three stages of overdrive/distortion to give our songs a dynamic flow, I would resize my board to compressor and preamp.

12. Two single coil pups, slight low-mid and mid-range eq boosts, light-gauge strings (either 100s or 95s), and my fingers.

I do have some effects, but they're just for fun; I don't use them in a live setting.

13. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    Tone:
    Very trebly, little bass, mostly pick playing, use chords often, and tone control is usually all the way up. In a nutshell, a very guitar-like tone.

Effects:
    Chorus(makes my bass sound like water)
    Overdrive :bassist:
    Delay('One of These Days' is just too much fun :D )
    Mild Reverb(just to smooth things out a little)

and last but not least

Noise Gate :smug:

14. DOD FX10 Bi-Fet Preamp pedal.....never leave home without it.

15. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    some sort of distortion is my only real must-have

16. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Chorus and Reverb.

I use OD and Fuzz a fair amount, as wel as wah, phaser, and bass balls ... but the Chorus and the Reverb are always on.

17. I went on an effects kick, buying everything I could afford, and came to the conclusion that all I did was create potential problems in my signal chain. When I noticed that my clean signal was getting dirtied up, was losing my natural tone, and that most of my effects didn't actually improve my parts, I narrowed it down to just an envelope filter. I don't even need that, but it helps beef up and funktify slap passages. I think a good rule of thumb on effects, is that if you know you need it for a certain part, get it, but if you just want to get more gear, you'll find yourself wasting money.

18. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    One effect essential to some of my songs is my pitch shifter, which adds 4 or 5 extra notes to the sound, and 2 are controlled by an expression pedal. Overdrive from my 400+ on everything is essential. I have a nice verb, chorus, and wierd but awesome enhance effect that, as you push down the expression pedal, will lower the verb and add distortion.

19. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    The most essential parts of my sound, in order, are:

1. My fingers
    2. Fender J
    3. Ampeg SVT-IIIPro
    4. SAPBDDI (Most of the time it's off and my tone is clean to the amp, but I will use a full OD, mild OD, or clean boost as needed).
    Also in the mix are an Alesis Microverb 4, a Punch Factory, and a Discumbobulator, but they are not critical to the music I play.

20. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    Hartke Bass attack VXL.
    Also has a very usable overdrive on it!