Essential covers

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Krist, Mar 24, 2003.

1. Krist

Mar 24, 2003
    What songs would you say are important for a rock band to know?
    I'm asking because i just joined my first band (!) and we need something to jam on that everyone will recognize when we eventually do a show. It's hard to agree on anyting, when the musical styles of the different members range from hip-hop to blues, punk, alternative and metal... :meh:
  2. Corbis

Corbis Guest

Feb 19, 2003
    Wamego KS
    3 words

Sweet Home Alabama
  3. coloradok1d

coloradok1d Guest

Mar 10, 2003

That song could save your life! You never know if you might catch yourself in a bad part of dixie!

Rolling Stones
    Nirvana - I would not play teen spirit, way overplayed
    Led Zepplin.

It's like that pokemon thing - Gotta Learn em all!
  4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    >Foghat - Slowride.
    >Slayer - Raining Blood, Angel of Death.
    >Gary Young - Plant Man.
    >Mercyful Fate - Last Rites.
    >Gwar - Dirty Filthy.
    >Beastie Boys - Sabotage.
    >Too $hort - B***job Betty.
    >Cannibal Corpse - Spine Splitter.
    >Primus - Natural Joe.

Learn this entire list and your band will be my favorite band ever.
  5. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    In all my years of playing, the song I've heard the most requests for, by far, is Mustang Sally.

My favorite version is by Buddy Guy (with guest guitarist Jeff Beck) on his album (CD) Damn Right, I've Got The Blues.
  6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Not that I particularly like any of these songs, but they ALWAYS go over well, it seems:

Rolling Stones, Honky Tonk Woman & Brown Sugar

Play that Funky Music (white boy . . . ya know, I've never seen any black musicians play this, come to think of it)

Mustang Sally (always requested, it seems)

Brick House (she's a brick . . . . .HOUSE). This song can easily be converted to a blues version, a rock version, a country version, a dance version, etc. etc., and everyone will still love it.

Zeppelin's Rock & Roll (towards end of the night, though)
  7. I had to live in Germany for a few years & had a band of fellow Americans. The owner at the BeirGarten we played at said if we played "Take Me Home Country Roads" - John Denver (duhhh) - we wouldn't have to worry about buying drinks the rest of the night.

He Was Right!!!:eek:

We had free drinks lying all over the front of the stage!!! Plus the crowd knew the words better than we did!

Needless to say - we started every gig at this place with that song - didn't buy a single drink all summer.

It was beautiful baby!! :bassist:
  8. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Brown Eyed Girl
  9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

My uncle's band... which I'm in... gets at least 2 requests for Brown Eyed Girl a night. We end up doing it twice, sometimes thrice.

One time these people kept wanting Brown Eyed Girl, so after we finished up. Instead of spiking with the rest of the band, I started strumming open strings (which is a lovely noise) and I sang parts of it in a low grunty voice *ala death metal* then really high *ala a girl*. My uncle was out in the audience by now and was yelling "Keep going!!". :)
  10. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    It all depends on your locality and style of music but these usually work for most settings. Even though I am tired of playing them, people don't seem to be tired of hearing them.

Sweet Home Alabama and Country Roads works great for the redneck places.
    Tush, LaGrange, and Born to be Wild for the Biker bars
    Mustang Sally works almost everywhere, especially the "corporate" scenes
    Jumping Jack Flash, or some Rolling Stones tune works for most rock places
    Santeria by Sublime works well for the younger crowds

A cool trick is to learn one song, and make many out of it. For example the chord progression for example Sweet Alabama is also the same progression for Can't You See, I Know U Rider, and Already Gone.
  11. Heh, I love doing that... For a while, my band was doing a medley we called "Pop Culture in A Minor" consisting of a bunch of songs that use the old "vi - IV - I - V" progression (I think of it in C major rather than A minor, but I didn't name the song...come to think of it, most of the songs we used weren't even in C to begin with, but oh well). We usually included Bon Jovi - "It's My Life", Michelle Branch - "All You Wanted", Reel Big Fish - "Beer", Joan Osbourne - "One of Us", Eagle Eye Cherry - "Save Tonight", and one of our own songs. It was always a crowd-pleaser, and a lot of fun :cool: My other band also does it at practice occasionally; someone will randomly start playing some trite progression and we'll just jam and see how many songs we can match to it...Good times :p
  12. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Go see other bands playing covers in your area and see what songs get good reactions from the crowd.
  13. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    very good advice.

Another thing, you said you're looking for Rock Covers, rock is a very broad and wide genre IMO. What type of rock are you talking about? Current Rock, Classic Rock, Metal, Alternative Rock, etc?
  14. vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    I couldnt believe it, I saw a band the other night, the song that got the most reaction was Break Stuff by Limp Bizkit.
    I mean this band was jamming on Pink Floyd, Zepplin, some current radio songs, and they were good! However, while the crowd reacted well to most of their songs, they went nuts for Break Stuff.
  15. Krist

Mar 24, 2003
    Well, my main influences are grunge and metal, I listen to (to name a few) Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgraden, Ozzy, Sabbath, Foo Fighters, Ac/Dc, Pixies, Strokes, Hives, Placebo, The Presidents and sometimes Korn. My taste in music can be much wider then this at times, though.
    The guitarist listens to almost exclusivley Ac/Dc, and the singer likes Iron maiden, Helloween, Sabbath/Ozzy and Hammerfall.
    Besides that the drummer listens to hip-hop but we probably won't be playing any Rap/hip-hop songs.
  16. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Out of all those you mentioned, if it were me, Id try to stick with the newer acts that are getting the radio play, thats whats in and what kids wanna hear. Id avoid the older stuff like the Ozzy, AC/DC, Sabboth, Helloween, etc. Unless its a very cool B side that was hardly ever on the radio, good example would be Ozzy's breakin all the rules. Not overly played back in the day, Yet people are familiar with it.
  17. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Green Day- Welcome to Paradise

Play that Funky Music White Boy

Black Sabbath- Paranoid

AC/DC- Thunderstruck

Bad Religion- American Jesus

Social Distortion- When the Angels Sing

Van Halen- Hot for Teacher

Ozzy- Mr. Crowley (Only if you can do it without ruining Mr. Osbournes greatest song.)

Purty much and of those should get you good crowd response.
  18. Randumb

Feb 2, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    my band covers Straight Up by Paula Abdul
  19. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    YES! Someone I can relate to.:D

We get chants for freebird in between every single song we play. I don't think the frat guys realize it's a joke. It's funny how they know all the words to sweet home alabama but don't even recognize gimme three steps or simple man.
  20. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    she f***in hates me (forgot the band)
    The Black Crows -Twices as hard
    Pearl Jam -
    Danzig-mother (this goes over very well in my band)
    Blue on Black