1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Essential Effect for Country Music

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by LuckyCondlins, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Is there such thing?

I want to add some life to my sound. Maybe sometype of compression or squeeze pedal?

Is there an essential effect for Country Music?

2. mimaz

mimaz

Mar 1, 2005
    Wheeling WV
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    Tone.

That's it, that's the secret. Maybe a little compression if ya gotta.

But really, tone.

3. yea I mean i can't see myself with this huge pedal board ya know? Country music is what I like to write and deal with.

Are these guys using specific amps to get their tone? I have a decent bass that plays and sounds amazing.

How are they getting that thick rich deep tone?

4. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    I've seen country players use a Fulltone Bass-Drive Mosfet in Comp Cut mode always on to help them get that fat warm tone, but it's definitely not an essential.

5. hmm ill take a l00k at it. I don't really imagine that these guys use a bunch of effects, im just wondering if they do and how they effect their sound!

6. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Plus, what kind of Country are you talking about? Old school, or more blues/rocking, or pop songs about trucks and America, or heartbreak ballads?

7. its a combo really. I got some heartbreak ballads i have wrote, I also have some more rockin' country new age stuff.

But, I ALSO have some Root 5 stuff as well.

I just saw an Edent WT Traveler Plus bass head for sale for 400 bucks....hMMmm

8. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    One thing I remember reading from one of the working pro Country bassists in the Amps forum a while back was they said about 4 out of 5 session pro's they saw in the studios in Nashville were recording with exactly the same rig: an Avalon U5 and a SABDDI run in parallel into two mixer channels. In other words a super-tight clean "modern" voice mixed with a fat wooly "vintage" voice. Plus doubling the signal achieves a big fat sound that's hard to achieve otherwise.

9. the Avalon U5 is just a DI right not a preamp?

10. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    It's both- it has parallel line-level and mic-level outputs.