Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Essential for Under 100

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Aristotle, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Aristotle

Aristotle

May 12, 2002
    Easton, MD
    Well, I've got about 100 dollars to blow, no more, and right now my pedal collection consists of no more than a good bass distortion. What can I get for under 100 bucks that will give me the best deal for the money. Any recomendations would be helpful, links too if you know them. Thanks.

2. Save your money for a better amp or bass, dude.

3. Aristotle

Aristotle

May 12, 2002
    Easton, MD
    Well I spent well over a year saving up to get both of them, seeing as I'm 16 it takes a while, so now that I'm more than content with my bass and amp, im looking to expand my pedal collection (or lack there of a pedal collection).

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Do you need a compressor? Plenty of those for about 100$.

5. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    2-4 lessons.

Or I agree w/ the compressor suggestions.

6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Nothing, for free; or lessons.

7. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    A compressor. A Tech21 Bass compactor or the Digitech X series compressor run around $100. I'm sure others have their opinion on the best compressor for @ $100.

A note of advice - I was 16 when I began playing bass, and I too had a little pedal collection. 16 years later they have all been sold or traded. None of them contributed to my tone or shaped my playing. Pedals and effects are for guitar players. Remember, the sound is in your fingers.

8. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    OREGON
    Why do people post statements like this in a bass effects forum? Why...why.....why? :) jive1, please give me some advice on developing my synth-finger. You must have some awsome technique to be able to make, synth, wah, flange, chorus, octave, fuzz, phaser, or LFO filter sounds with your fingers! Or do you have one effect for each finger? Please tell me about your amazing finger-effect method. Effects are for ANY musician, even singers. :D They are not to "contribute to your tone or shape your playing", they are for people like me who like to make specific sounds for specific types of music that require them. I for example, have been jamming with some "electronic musicians" and my Digitech Bass Synth-Wah is quite necesary and essential to my sound with them. It's not essential to me as a bass player, but it is quite essential for that type of music. Get my meaning?;)

9. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Boss TU-2 Tuner.
    Great pedal tuner.

10. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Synth finger technique - Tap on the saddles of the bass bridge with your fingers to get a percussive pad like sound. Or you can use the volume knob in conjunction with you picking/fingering technique to create syth/bow effect. I used this to play the synth parts of "Jump" in a metal band I was in by user hammer-ons for the chords and swelling the volume simultaneously. BTW, some finger tapping methods can yield piano like qualities out of a bass.
    Phaser finger technique - Pick from the bridge and work steadily toward the neck, and then back toward the bridge. That will create a small modulation effect, because the overtones will change from higher to lower as you pick away form the bridge.
    Delay finger technique - Pick a string and immediately pick it again. If you practice your dynamics you can make it fade away like an echo.
    Finger fuzz pedal technique - Set the gain on your amp high enough that it almost distorts. Then pick harder to create some overdrive, lighten your picking to create a cleaner tone.
    Finger wah technique - ok, this one requires an active e-q with a midrange control. While you pick/finger turn the midrange boost knob to create a wah like effect.

Honestly, those techniques can get you a tone similar to an effect, but at more difficulty.I grudgingly admit that pedals would probably work better for those kinds of things, but it's really fun to see what kinds of "effects" you can create with your fingers.

I didn't mean to step on any toes, but I was giving advice to a kid on some effects. I have wasted plenty of money over the years for effects that were useful for about .01% of my playing. I have also tried to use effects instead of working on my technique or my fundamental tone. Just trying to help out a future star.

11. right now i have 4 pedals, delay, EQ, wah and volume. they all come in handy, and they all have their place.

even though I have only one delay pedal, I am constantly switching around the settings for different songs. i turn the delay speed up as quickly as possible and set the delay knob to the shortest delay cycle, and turn the volume up to be as loud as my regular tone, to give me a very "metallic" sound, like my bass was made entirely out of aluminum.

I'll turn the volume down, set the cycle to the 2nd slowest, and get a nice delay to use sparingly in dub sections.

i'll turn the volume way up, use the wah and just scratch the strings with a pick to get a creepy background sound.

i can have the cycle on the slowest, delay speed as quickly as possible, volume up loud, and have a note resonating on the bass, then switch the cycle to the 2nd slowest, and it'll delay not only that note, but the delay itself, which gives me an atmospheric "horror music" effect.

with the delay speed set as slow as possible, with the cycle speed set to the fastest, and heavy wah, i can get a sound not too dissimilar to kubrick's "monolith" music in 2001: a space oddyssey. at least, that's what the recording instructor at the studio said on friday.

and at last, but not least (out of effects I use somewhat regularly), i can set the delay to infinite loop, scratch a note on the bass, and then activate the effect to 'catch" the scratch, and loop it inifinitely while I play with the delay speed. it changes the pitch and speed of the note, so I can sit there playing with the knobs on the pedal and sound like a DJ scratching on a record.

are all of these NECESSARY for the songs? nah, but they give me a very unique sound, and with the acoustic balance I have with the other instruments, people can really hear the effects that I use, and I often get compliments on it. It doesn't make me a "better player", but it helps separate me from every other bass player out there, which is nice when you're playing an instrument that generally receives no recognition save for from other bass players.

12. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Arion pedals are cheap and really good, IME. I've got both their octave pedal and their stereo phaser, (I paid a total of $55 plus shipping for both) and I think it was a great investment.

The pedals aren't super super awesome, but they're both much better than I expected for the ultra cheap prices.